One month elective-international or scholarly project?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heman466s

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
One-month electives. Many residents use this time to work in other cities and countries. Alternatively, many choose to undertake a scholarly project with a faculty member within the same hospital.

I am not sure which one would be a good option so as to build a strong application for a competitive peds fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

While I am currently still only a fourth yr medical student, I cannot say for sure. But whenever I'm having a similar type of question I always go back to - "What am I passionate about?" I am a firm believer that if you are passionate about what you're doing, you will thrive. That could mean publishing good research, getting great letters of rec from faculty, etc. If you enjoy it, you will excel in it, and that will show when you go to apply.

Just my two cents. Good luck!

One month isn't a lot of time to get anything done, so your best bet is to ask around and see what different faculty members are working on. It's best to jump into something that's already in motion. I'd do all your homework well before the rotation: know what you're doing and who you will be doing it with. That way, when it's time for your rotation, you can jump right in and get to helping out.