One of my letter writers stopped replying to my emails!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anniekat2025

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
A super awesome doc I shadowed offered to write me an LOR. We communicated regarding the letter in person several times, and then he moved across the country to take the job. He gave me his contact info and told me it was best to reach out via email, but I haven't heard back from him since the fall. Basically, he ghosted me!

Should I keep sending emails asking for an LOR or just quit while I'm ahead and try to find someone else to write my LOR? I'm super disappointed because we had a really good rapport and he actually knew me because I had known him for the better part of a year. I already have one physician writing an LOR (I work with him so he knows me well too.)

Also - I have LORs from my biochem professor, my o chem professor (took both classes within the last 2 years after finishing my BE), and my boss from my EMT volunteering position.

What, if any, other letters should I be trying to get? Do I have enough?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have a pre-med committee/pre-med advisor that can write you a letter? 1 physician LOR is fine - you have two letters from professors that have taught you, and an LOR from volunteering. Those letters seem fine to me - if you are applying DO be aware that some schools require a LOR from a DO physician. Otherwise, from my experience, schools can be a little flexible with your LORs if you've been out for a long time.

Do you have a pre-med committee/pre-med advisor that can write you a letter?.

I don't. I graduated in 2017 with an engineering degree. At the time, med school wasn't in my brain at all so I don't have any real relationships with pre-med advisors or similar folks back there. I took o chem and biochem more recently while working as an engineer, but I took them at two different schools. I could look into seeing if there is a pre-med committee at either of those schools if you think it would be useful.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't. I graduated in 2017 with an engineering degree. At the time, med school wasn't in my brain at all so I don't have any real relationships with pre-med advisors or similar folks back there. I took o chem and biochem more recently while working as an engineer, but I took them at two different schools. I could look into seeing if their is a pre-med committee at either of those schools if you think it would be useful.
usually you have to meet periodically with a committee. Even if you don't have one, you can submit the individual letters that you have.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you applying to DO schools that want to see a DO shadowing letter? If not, then you are not losing much by not having one. Shadowing letters are rarely helpful as they do not allow for meaningful objective evaluations. "He/she showed up on time, dressed appropriately, appeared interested, and was good at standing quietly in the corner". These are essentially givens, which will also be commented on elsewhere. Letters from professors, research mentors, and supervisors, on the other hand, will additionally comment on a student's work ethic, professionalism, intellectual capacity/critical thinking skills, teamwork/interactions with others, and more. Just my thoughts

Reactions: 3 users