One point below Step 1 cutoff for an IM program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

il pani

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I sent my application for IM residency and there is one program that I REALLY like and would love to have the opportunity to interview there. However, I am one point below their cutoff for Step 1; I fulfill all the other requirements. What do you recommend I should do for my application to be reviewed and not be screened out with the filters? Should I contact the PD? Or the Program coordinator? Is there any way you would suggest I could go by this? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I sent my application for IM residency and there is one program that I REALLY like and would love to have the opportunity to interview there. However, I am one point below their cutoff for Step 1; I fulfill all the other requirements. What do you recommend I should do for my application to be reviewed and not be screened out with the filters? Should I contact the PD? Or the Program coordinator? Is there any way you would suggest I could go by this? Thank you!

Generally speaking, cut-offs are cut-offs for a reason, but some programs follow them more strictly than others. At my program, if someone is close on Step 1 and scored well above our cut off for Step 2, I would still refer the application for review by the Selection Committee (assuming all other criteria were met, of course). It's a harder call to make if there's no Step 2 score.

My recommendation to applicants would be NOT to start contacting programs now since the process has just started and we're insanely busy. Sometime between Sept 27 and Oct 4, or once you start hearing about people getting interviews from the program you are really interested in, send one polite email to the PC expressing interest. This will not guarantee an interview, but it increases the likelihood that your application will get reviewed. (Caveat: time frame above does not apply to specialties that typically start sending invitations in November.)

Generally speaking, cut-offs are cut-offs for a reason, but some programs follow them more strictly than others. At my program, if someone is close on Step 1 and scored well above our cut off for Step 2, I would still refer the application for review by the Selection Committee (assuming all other criteria were met, of course). It's a harder call to make if there's no Step 2 score.

My recommendation to applicants would be NOT to start contacting programs now since the process has just started and we're insanely busy. Sometime between Sept 27 and Oct 4, or once you start hearing about people getting interviews from the program you are really interested in, send one polite email to the PC expressing interest. This will not guarantee an interview, but it increases the likelihood that your application will get reviewed. (Caveat: time frame above does not apply to specialties that typically start sending invitations in November.)

This is very helpful! Thank you very much, I will take this into consideration and will definitely reach out to the program expressing my interest when we're further into the application season.

Depends on the program. Some filter using the cutoffs, others don't and manually look at each app. If they do manual filtering it's a solid maybe

Reactions: 1 user