online biology classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youngjock

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
is there any places that offer online biology classes - the required biology classes for med. school?

if there is one, how much does it cost?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

The biology courses you need for medical school require labs -- can't do that online.

all the labs are suck. I did not learn anything from them. I wish we had just a lecture hour instead.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can't learn biology without lab!! What about disections, histology slides, working with live animals, etc? you can't do that stuff in an additional hour of lecture. I learned the lecture material better because of hands on work in lab--I usually just slept through freshmen bio lecture.

I hated the damned labs. Gen bio labs are so removed from real science it's almost laughable. What did I learn in lab? Maybe how to go long periods of time being bored to tears.

May be it is just me because I went to a small school so our Biology department did not have a lot of money.

Labs SUCK. ALL of them (Biology, chem, organic, etc). They are long and painfull and never work half of the time. Often they require extensive write-ups or lab reports which only serves to heighten the pain.

Also, I dont think there is any reason to dissect anything besides a cadaver. Who really cares what is in a starfish if you are going into medical school?

Kirk - I couldn't agree with you more. My school also has a small budget so we've used the same torn up dead (not preserved) animals for lower division and upper division classes. I've just been really pissed off that an extra 5 hours of lab a week for gen chem and o-chem only result in one extra unit. Not fair!!! :mad:

labs resulted in 0 extra units at my school. 1 class = 1 unit (except p.e. = 1/2 unit). that means 1 music class = 1 english class = 1 pchem class = 1 organic class = 2 p.e. classes. ugh!! why on earth did i choose to be a chemistry major? i must have been crazy!