Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

online biology classes?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by youngjock, Apr 18, 2002.

1. youngjock

youngjock Membership Revoked
    Removed

is there any places that offer online biology classes - the required biology classes for med. school?

if there is one, how much does it cost?

thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Forensic Chick

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    The biology courses you need for medical school require labs -- can't do that online.

4. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003] Platinum Member
    7+ Year Member

all the labs are suck. I did not learn anything from them. I wish we had just a lecture hour instead.

5. drjo2002

drjo2002 Member
    7+ Year Member

You can't learn biology without lab!! What about disections, histology slides, working with live animals, etc? you can't do that stuff in an additional hour of lecture. I learned the lecture material better because of hands on work in lab--I usually just slept through freshmen bio lecture.

6. Cerberus

Cerberus Heroic Necromancer
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I hated the damned labs. Gen bio labs are so removed from real science it's almost laughable. What did I learn in lab? Maybe how to go long periods of time being bored to tears.

7. Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003] Platinum Member
    7+ Year Member

May be it is just me because I went to a small school so our Biology department did not have a lot of money.

8. Kirk

Kirk Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Labs SUCK. ALL of them (Biology, chem, organic, etc). They are long and painfull and never work half of the time. Often they require extensive write-ups or lab reports which only serves to heighten the pain.

Also, I dont think there is any reason to dissect anything besides a cadaver. Who really cares what is in a starfish if you are going into medical school?

9. Forensic Chick

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Kirk - I couldn't agree with you more. My school also has a small budget so we've used the same torn up dead (not preserved) animals for lower division and upper division classes. I've just been really pissed off that an extra 5 hours of lab a week for gen chem and o-chem only result in one extra unit. Not fair!!! :mad:

10. lola

lola Bovine Member
    7+ Year Member

labs resulted in 0 extra units at my school. 1 class = 1 unit (except p.e. = 1/2 unit). that means 1 music class = 1 english class = 1 pchem class = 1 organic class = 2 p.e. classes. ugh!! why on earth did i choose to be a chemistry major? i must have been crazy!