online cell biology course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazysims

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,
Just wondering if anybody knows of a way to take a molecular cell biology course online over the summer. I've been wait-listed at both UF (my in-state school) and Tennessee. For Tennessee, I need to take this course, but... I will be in Europe for the first 25 days of summer on a graduation trip. So, unless I find a way to take this class online, I will likely have to travel down to the University of Miami to take it during the second half of the summer.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There is an online course through the university of Guelph that Tennessee accepted 3 years ago. Be forewarned, it is very challenging and time consuming and you need to have a place for the proctored exam later. Something you might want to look into.

Washington State offers an online cell biology course as well. Here's a link to the online course catalog, the class is under the "molecular biosciences" heading.
http://online.wsu.edu/current_students/ar_courses.aspx

I haven't taken this course, so I can't comment on the quality of it, but I will say that all of the online courses I did take from WSU were great. Most of them did require proctored exams though, so you might have to look into that.

Members don't see this ad :)
The University of Minnesota offers a self paced online cellbiology course. You should check it out!:)

Thanks so much guys, I'm definitely gonna check 'em all out :)

.... no luck with those universities unfortunately

any other ideas out there??

I need to take an online cell biology class. Michigan State accepts either the Berkeley Extension online class (instructor is Nidhi Ajuha), the online class at University of Minnesota, or the online class at Washington State University.

Given my horrible experience with an online biochem class, I'm looking for any advice I can get before enrolling in one of these.

Anyone have any recent experience with any three of these options? Thanks in advance!

I need to take an online cell biology class. Michigan State accepts either the Berkeley Extension online class (instructor is Nidhi Ajuha), the online class at University of Minnesota, or the online class at Washington State University.

Given my horrible experience with an online biochem class, I'm looking for any advice I can get before enrolling in one of these.

Anyone have any recent experience with any three of these options? Thanks in advance!

I've heard the the UC Berkeley one is pretty easy.

Reactions: 1 user
Question. How does one go about applying for an online course? Do you apply through the university and transfer your transcripts? I'm gonna have to do it this summer but have never taken classes at one school and an accessory at another so I am lost. Thank you!

I took the UC Berkeley online course back in 2012, but it was with a different instructor. It was really straight forward. Read the book, answer some questions for each assignment (~1 assignment/week based on the time frame I was working within, which was about mid-Feb to mid June), take a final exam (to be taken at a certified testing location) and write a scientific review paper. I was working full time, going to school part time (in addition to the online class), and planning a wedding, and I was able to keep up/complete everything in time (without stressing too much). I don't know if it has changed at all in the last couple years. Hope that helps a little.

Reactions: 1 user
Question. How does one go about applying for an online course? Do you apply through the university and transfer your transcripts? I'm gonna have to do it this summer but have never taken classes at one school and an accessory at another so I am lost. Thank you!

I've taken two online classes--one via Purdue, and another via University of New England. I think the procedure with any school varies--but it isn't a difficult process. I don't think either school required transcripts, and I don't think UNE required much more than a payment. Purdue may have required a short, one page application that required me to list my home university and previous schools I've attended, but I can't remember exactly. Usually the websites of the schools have what forms/requirements they have.

I took a class through KSU. I think I just emailed the professor and asked him how to do it. Essentially, I just registered as a non-degree seeking student. I don't recall having to send transcripts or anything like that.

When I took a course over the summer through PSU Berks, I essentially did the same thing, but since I live like 10 minutes from the campus, I just went to the registrar office and everything in person.

Depends on the school. Some schools will allow you to register as non-student, for others you need to fill out an application form, get admitted, get a student ID and all that stuff. You probably want to contact your school directly, they should be able to tell you.

I've taken two online classes--one via Purdue, and another via University of New England. I think the procedure with any school varies--but it isn't a difficult process. I don't think either school required transcripts, and I don't think UNE required much more than a payment. Purdue may have required a short, one page application that required me to list my home university and previous schools I've attended, but I can't remember exactly. Usually the websites of the schools have what forms/requirements they have.

I am thinking about taking biochem from UNE. How was your experience with them? I think the class is self-paced, right?

Thank you everyone :) it seems a less daunting process than I initially thought

I am thinking about taking biochem from UNE. How was your experience with them? I think the class is self-paced, right?
The class is self-paced--you have 16 weeks to complete 16 modules, which each have a quiz, and then 4 exams. They allow an extension, which I needed, because I don't think the class is "do-able" in 16 weeks if you actually want a decent grade and be able to learn anything, even with a lighter class load. I don't recommend the class--but I also don't know much about other online options for biochem--so I don't have anything to compare it to. If you want further details re: my thoughts, feel free to PM me.

The class is self-paced--you have 16 weeks to complete 16 modules, which each have a quiz, and then 4 exams. They allow an extension, which I needed, because I don't think the class is "do-able" in 16 weeks if you actually want a decent grade and be able to learn anything, even with a lighter class load. I don't recommend the class--but I also don't know much about other online options for biochem--so I don't have anything to compare it to. If you want further details re: my thoughts, feel free to PM me.

Thanks for the pointers. Were there lectures you could watch or a professor you could ask Q from? I know OSU has a really good biochem class with prof Ahern, but can be more expensive. I think biochem 1 and 2 add up to something like 7 units at $280/credit. Some schools just want one biochem but some require a complete series. I guess it depends on your learning style and budget.

Thanks for the pointers. Were there lectures you could watch or a professor you could ask Q from? I know OSU has a really good biochem class with prof Ahern, but can be more expensive. I think biochem 1 and 2 add up to something like 7 units at $280/credit. Some schools just want one biochem but some require a complete series. I guess it depends on your learning style and budget.
Yes, there were 3-6 lectures associated with each module. Some of the lectures were only 15 minutes long, but others were 30+ minutes long. There are lecture notes you can print out to follow along with the lectures and take notes on. I took this class because Michigan State recommended it as one of their online biochem options, it was less expensive than some of the other options, and it was "medical" oriented, for those entering a medical field.