Online class during application summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Redpancreas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1.I have one summer class planned from July 4th to August 14th. I plan to submit my AMCAS on the earliest day, however. Will this class take significant time away from filling out my secondaries? I am taking this class because I want to take another interesting class during my senior year before I graduate but I won't have room unless I take this one summer class. Should I take it? Do you think it would take time away from secondaries?

2. Suppose I don't get an A in the course...my sGPA will be lingering just above the 3.8 after this semester. Will this summer class be calculated and factored into my AMCAS GPA when I apply? If this is the case, I may take a non-science summer course.

3. I am taking a heavy senior year course load (mainly because I'm putting in some "un-required" but interesting classes like computer programming and economics) and I plan on working more than usual with the assumption that my GPA won't matter as much senior year. Granted I'm not planning on getting below a 3.5 in any of these classes but let's say (I live in MI) I apply to WSU, MSUCHM, Oakland, Central, etc. will they wait to see my grades after fall of senior year? As said before, my GPA is just above the 3.8 sGPA (3.85 cumulative) so I really don't want med schools to see anything less than that.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You can take a summer course. Secondaries don't take too much time, depending on when you receive them, how many schools you applied to, etc. Often, you can copy and paste and reword things to fit other secondary prompts. You can also start looking at this year's application threads for the schools you plan to apply to to find the prompts and start formulating your responses. They typically stay the same each year.

As far as I know, when you're accepted med schools call it "conditional" and always ask for your final transcript before you matriculate. I'm not sure how much it would matter to them as long as you're not failing, but I personally wouldn't want to let my grades slip just in case I needed to apply again or for whatever other reason. Just do the best you can with the extra work hours. Hope this helps.