gomisweird

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 9, 2008
Status
So I'm thinking about taking some online classes (maybe psychology, philosphy, nutrition) over summer. I have no way into actually getting to MJSC (i have no car) so online is best for me. My question is two fold

1) Are online classes (that have nothing to do with prereqs) looked down upon?

2) Some CCs dont state if it was online, so even if AADSAS says we need to mark the ones that are online, do most people just put the classes as live courses?

bounty101

10+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2008
Status
Non-Student
I don't recall any spot on AADSAS for entering if the class was online or not. Did you look at the app instructions yet?
I just checked, there is a spot for distance learning/online courses. If it doesn't differentiate on your transcript b/n online or not, it's unlikely anyone would ever know. But then it's not a big deal to take any of those courses you mentioned online either.

doc3232

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Some schools don't accept online courses.

OP
gomisweird

gomisweird

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 9, 2008
Status
Ok so let's say you were in my position, you've taken 6-7 online courses that show up on the transcript as legit, real live classroom classes at the CC.

Then comes the question, what do you mark on the AADSAS application?

alanan84

D1
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Ok so let's say you were in my position, you've taken 6-7 online courses that show up on the transcript as legit, real live classroom classes at the CC.

Then comes the question, what do you mark on the AADSAS application?
I would say if there is a specific parameter that says 'online course', you should mark that. It's probably not going to be a big deal but lying on your app can be a big deal if they find out. That's just what I'd do. I've taken some online courses but am applying through tmdsas and haven't seen anything about online courses on there.

thegame2388

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
Huh? I thought everyone had to apply through AADSAS? What's tmdsas?

alanan84

D1
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Huh? I thought everyone had to apply through AADSAS? What's tmdsas?
There's actually another thread on this but although most schools use AADSAS, not all do. Texas residents applying to Texas schools use TMDSAS.

thegame2388

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
I believe the OP was talking about the idea of online courses in general and whether or not to properly mark them on the AADSAS

alanan84

D1
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2008
Status
Dental Student
I believe the OP was talking about the idea of online courses in general and whether or not to properly mark them on the AADSAS
Yep and my response is that if there is a place to specify whether it's an online course or not then you should probably mark it as an online course if that is what it is.

OP
gomisweird

gomisweird

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 9, 2008
Status
Then I guess the answer is "Dental Schools don't mind online courses as long as they're not prereqs and it'll all go into the AADSAS GPA. Also, when asked whether or not the class is online, one should always mark that and never lie"

K thanks guys. I'll be taking the following online:

Intro To Business
Family Nutrition
Healthful Living
Art Appreciation
Intro To American Government.

Thanks!!!!

BTW, is it true that UCLA doesn't accept online classes?

OP
gomisweird

gomisweird

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 9, 2008
Status
I heard UCLA doesn't accept online classes. Is that true?

Resonance

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
Then I guess the answer is "Dental Schools don't mind online courses as long as they're not prereqs and it'll all go into the AADSAS GPA.

BTW, is it true that UCLA doesn't accept online classes?
I do not think that this is the case with prereqs. I imagine the bigger concern for schools regarding online learning is the University offering the course. It is unlikely that schools will have reservations about an online course taken at say Duke, but they may have a problem with you taking prereqs online through Bishop Whipple's University for the Feebleminded.

In the end, any and all advice from SDN should be taken with a grain of salt. With regards to questions about your application, it is ALWAYS best to call the schools to which you are applying and ask for clarification.

OP
gomisweird

gomisweird

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 9, 2008
Status
I emailed two schools already:

"Dear XXXX,

In general, at this time, online course are not viewed
favorably by dental admissions committees. They
especially do not fulfill prerequisite course requirements
and are not recognized toward completion of upper-division
biology course work.

The manner in which you are considering summer online
course work (non-science, personal interest) would be the
best rationalization for dental admissions committees. Of
course, any formal academic study - traditional or online
- requires disclosure of an official transcript and
grades/achievement will be calculated with all cumulative
GPAs on the AADSAS application.

I hope I was able to shed some light. Should you have
additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact
me!"

ANDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

"Hi XXXX- Thanks for the email and your interest in LSU. While we prefer not to see a whole bunch of "online courses," a few won't hurt anything. As long as they show up on your transcript with hours credit and a grade, they count!

Jim Weir, DDS
Assistant Dean for Admissions
LSU School of Dentistry