Online classes (NOT pre-reqs, but electives)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roflolhahaha

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi ya'll,

Finished all the pre-reqs as part of major. Graduated in '15 and am doing informal post-bac to boost GPA. Was a 3.3/3.0 undergrad. Now it's a 3.4/3.3 w/ a DIY post bac at local four year. My question is would online classes also be a good option for doing more classwork? It would be more flexible for me. With a DIY post bac, it's quite hard to get classes as I am at the end of every waitlist. I'm also doing research and working and volunteering on the side so flexibility would be fantastic as I work towards being a better applicant for medical school. I would only take upper division sciences, the ones that mirror classes from medical school, for online classes as I have already done all the pre reqs when getting my degree. Would doing these classes be "legit" for raising GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

I emailed UCI Med and that seems to be the gist of the message too. In case anyone was wondering, admissions said that 1 or 2 online classes would be okay.
If I understand that you would be taking online upper level BCPM classes online? Certainly last on the list of course types to be impressive and could be seen as simply easy way to boost GPA. However, if they are from a respected school (lots of schools have online courses) and you have other real courses, it wont be the worst thing in the world.

Hi ya'll,

Finished all the pre-reqs as part of major. Graduated in '15 and am doing informal post-bac to boost GPA. Was a 3.3/3.0 undergrad. Now it's a 3.4/3.3 w/ a DIY post bac at local four year. My question is would online classes also be a good option for doing more classwork? It would be more flexible for me. With a DIY post bac, it's quite hard to get classes as I am at the end of every waitlist. I'm also doing research and working and volunteering on the side so flexibility would be fantastic as I work towards being a better applicant for medical school. I would only take upper division sciences, the ones that mirror classes from medical school, for online classes as I have already done all the pre reqs when getting my degree. Would doing these classes be "legit" for raising GPA?

I am in a similar situation and was wondering which online classes you are considering and from what university? I would prefer self paced courses but have looked into UNE and seen mostly negative feedback.

Can I add onto this question? I've not been able to find any straight answer. For DO schools, I've realized I need 6 credits of social science (cultural anthropology, sociology, psychology). Would taking them online be acceptable? I'm confused as it is a pre-req, but also not a pre-req! (For example, on Rowan's website fo DO applicants, it has one section devoted to the usual BCOM reqs, followed by a list of recommended courses, followed (lastly!) by a tag that says: you are also required to have 6 credits of English and 6 credits social science.)