Online Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plumhill

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A sophomore that I mentor asked me about online classes, and I didn't know how to answer. This student wants to re-take chemistry through the online general chemistry courses offered by Oregon State University. From what I can gather, this is an accredited four-year institution and this course is designed for students aiming towards health careers. However, I'm fairly certain that adcoms would know this is an online course even if it isn't indicated, because our home institution is nowhere near Oregon and the transcript sent would indicate that.

Should I recommend this student to retake chemistry this way? Would it look bad to re-take a prerequisite course online even if from a four-year institution?

Members don't see this ad.

A sophomore that I mentor asked me about online classes, and I didn't know how to answer. This student wants to re-take chemistry through the online general chemistry courses offered by Oregon State University. From what I can gather, this is an accredited four-year institution and this course is designed for students aiming towards health careers. However, I'm fairly certain that adcoms would know this is an online course even if it isn't indicated, because our home institution is nowhere near Oregon and the transcript sent would indicate that.

Should I recommend this student to retake chemistry this way? Would it look bad to re-take a prerequisite course online even if from a four-year institution?

If they are in a position that they need to be re-taking chemistry, I would highly recommend a live class. It will be difficult as it is to grasp those concepts by self-teaching methods alone.

I am taking 1 online course and I much rather prefer the live courses. Most institutions do not state "online" on the transcript, and they generally say if they will or not (otherwise have him/her ask if that is concern). However you are right in that the location being so far away will be an obvious clue that it was taken online... it might slip by a few people who quickly scan the course information.

i don't see why an adcom would care or even know that a course was taken online. as long as you're learning the material, why does it matter? chances are a significant portion of the med students at the adcom's institution are learning the material online. there are many advantages to this type of coursework.

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't see why an adcom would care or even know that a course was taken online. as long as you're learning the material, why does it matter? chances are a significant portion of the med students at the adcom's institution are learning the material online. there are many advantages to this type of coursework.

I realize that the transcript won't indicate that the course was an online course, but it can probably be deduced from the fact that this student will have taken one course "at" Oregon State University, when the rest of his/her coursework will have been conducted at our home institution (which is in the Midwest)...so because of that, I'm wondering if it would matter to adcoms, since it seems like there's still a stigma surrounding the validity of online courses.

Math and science courses are highly discouraged online from a learning standpoint, regardless of transcripts. Does it even include a lab? Chemistry online sounds iffy to me, even for OSU (a school I love). Go beavers!

Math and science courses are highly discouraged online from a learning standpoint, regardless of transcripts. Does it even include a lab? Chemistry online sounds iffy to me, even for OSU (a school I love). Go beavers!

A lot of medical schools don't accept online pre-req's. And since there most likely is no lab then it can't even satisfy the requirements as medical school requires 8 hours of general chemistry. If their taking it just as a refresher because they didn't learn the material well enough the first time and don't care if it shows up or not then by all means take it, otherwise, it's a huge waste of time and money.

You say that like Oregon is no man's land. Remember that it's the only state with its own computer game.

And btw Oregon State is ranked in football, which is another clue.

You say that like Oregon is no man's land. Remember that it's the only state with its own computer game.

And btw Oregon State is ranked in football, which is another clue.

Corvalis, where OSU is, is pretty freaking crap. There's practically nothing to do except study. However, it is a very large, brilliant school. No-man's land is not accurate, cause there are people there, but it's a bit dilapidated (the city, not the school).

There is a "virtual" lab component to the course, but whether or not that counts is iffy. So I'll just let the student know that this may not be a good option. Thank you all for your help :D