This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qwerty7788

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to take Anatomy I and II this summer. There are courses with University of Phoenix for both that are online-this would be ideal because of my PT Tech position I have this summer. However, will that be frowned upon? Technically it's a four year university, although it is online. OR I could take it at a community college in the classroom, but then I would not be able to keep my position. Which would be better for admissions purposes?

Members don't see this ad.

I need to take Anatomy I and II this summer. There are courses with University of Phoenix for both that are online-this would be ideal because of my PT Tech position I have this summer. However, will that be frowned upon? Technically it's a four year university, although it is online. OR I could take it at a community college in the classroom, but then I would not be able to keep my position. Which would be better for admissions purposes?
A lot of schools won't accept online anatomy. I would search the programs you plan to apply to on PTCAS and do a search of the word "online". For example...CSU Fresno would not allow it: http://www.ptcas.org/ptcas/public/Listing.aspx?seqn=2091

I took both A&P 1 and 2 online WITH the labs (had to order an expensive lab kit and dissect a sheep's brain and cow's eyeball on my kitchen table) but I was able to get an acceptance. I was initially worried but there was no way I could work full time to pay off my existing student loans and take the classes in person (plus the CC in my city didn't offer A&P at night or on the weekends so I would've been forced to quit my tech job). I do think its frowned upon but my transcripts didn't specify that I took the class online ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I took both A&P 1 and 2 online WITH the labs (had to order an expensive lab kit and dissect a sheep's brain and cow's eyeball on my kitchen table) but I was able to get an acceptance. I was initially worried but there was no way I could work full time to pay off my existing student loans and take the classes in person (plus the CC in my city didn't offer A&P at night or on the weekends so I would've been forced to quit my tech job). I do think its frowned upon but my transcripts didn't specify that I took the class online ;)

Did you take it through University of Phoenix?? What did you take it through?

That's a good point...I took a few online classes in my undergrad and there was never any way to tell that they were online.

Agree with above...check with your schools mostly so you aren't in a moral dilemma. But if they take online anatomy, you should be good to go. I would perhaps send the course number to the schools to have them OK it too (no need to say it's online if they accept online anatomy...but again, send the course number and description to get it in writing that they will accept your course.)

Our program requires anatomy with lab, biology with lab, as well as both physics and chemistry with lab. We do not believe that online anatomy is ideal for the preparation of a PT. We have had a few students take online anatomy before and they subsequently struggled in the program's anatomy courses. The more rigorous (and hands on), the preparation, the better. Other courses, such as psychology, social sciences or stats, we do allow those to be taken online, but not the laboratory based courses.

I’m curious to know where you took this online class! I’m in the same dilemma currently.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile