Online Database of Cases & Grand Rounds at Iowa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've made a website to form an online database of cases presented on SDN and to index all the clinical photos. Please give me some feedback on the site. My goal is to build an online reference of interesting and classic cases for teaching purposes. If you have a case with good clinical photos, then please contribute.

http://webeye.ophth.uiowa.edu/eyeforum/

Thanks in advance for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Come visit the Grand Rounds page at U of Iowa often. In addition to the SDN cases, I'm archiving cases from weekly Grand Rounds by date and disease. With time, this will grow into a useful online reference with numerous clinical vignettes and key summaries of ophthalmic diseases:

Jason & Andrew, you're helping me with this when you get here! ;)

Originally posted by Andrew_Doan
I've made a website to form an online database of cases presented on SDN and to index all the clinical photos. Please give me some feedback on the site. My goal is to build an online reference of interesting and classic cases for teaching purposes. If you have a case with good clinical photos, then please contribute.

Thanks in advance for your time!

great work! one question though on the lines of patient privacy/pictures...so did these patients have to agree before you can post a picture of their eyes....i.e. any privacy issues (even if it's nearly anonymous). on a similar line, if a med student were doing some free health screenings and decided to take pics and post it on their group's website, would they need to get prior permission to do it (even if it's something as simple as taking bp)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Yogi Bear
great work! one question though on the lines of patient privacy/pictures...so did these patients have to agree before you can post a picture of their eyes....i.e. any privacy issues (even if it's nearly anonymous). on a similar line, if a med student were doing some free health screenings and decided to take pics and post it on their group's website, would they need to get prior permission to do it (even if it's something as simple as taking bp)?

If the photo was a quarter face or less than half face, then it's very diffcult to identify the patient. Usually, I just get verbal confirmation because a photo of the eye won't reveal the identity of the patient.

If it's a full-face shot, then I have them sign a card that state that they allow me to use their photo for teaching purposes, displays, or publications. Then I take a snapshot of the card and put it along with their photos and place the card in the chart.

You could do the same as a med student.

I've obtained an easy URL to remember for the Iowa Morning Rounds Archive. In addition to the address above, you may also use:

www.eyerounds.org

This site is now supported by a generous unrestricted educational grant from:
allergan.gif

Iowa residents will receive digital cameras to help collect cases for the archive and a book fund to purchase textbooks.