Quantcast

Online Exercise Physiology Course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTattention

Reaction score
I need to complete an Exercise Physiology course by June, and I can only do online option.

Has anyone taken this class?:(

Jaug15

Reaction score
I agree. I would try to find a way to take it at a community college where it would be local and cheaper. Some schools require ex phys as a pre-requisite course and im pretty sure that no science pre-reqs can be taken online so your best bet is to take it at a community college.

NeophyteParkour

Reaction score
A CC option would be better than online, but I'm not even sure a CC would have that. Exercise physiology is a 3rd year course?

Worst case scenario either take the online or postpone your graduation a bit. Not every school requires exercise phys, so if you're applying to schools that don't need it then go ahead and take it online.

ecsunny

Reaction score
I took exercise physiology online through United States Sports Academy (ussa.edu) Course SAR 520. It is a graduate level class. I know this is accepted by UNC-CH. It is expensive, but worth it to finish pre-reqs.

okramango

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I believe UCLA and U of New Mexico both offer it online through university extension. It's not available at CCs because it is an upper division course. Many schools I'm interested in don't accept the online course, and I haven't been able to get into the course at a university through Open U, so it looks like I can't apply to schools that require it. Make sure to check that the schools you are interested in will accept the online course.

ChangeinCareer

Reaction score
How much is expensive? How did you like the course? I'm hoping to apply to UNC for Fall 2014 but need to take Exercise Physiology. Thanks for any input!

Junta87

Reaction score
I took exercise physiology online through United States Sports Academy (ussa.edu) Course SAR 520. It is a graduate level class. I know this is accepted by UNC-CH. It is expensive, but worth it to finish pre-reqs.

My school let me take the United States sports academy course CER 520 instead of SAR. I is self-paced and only $150. Op- check if your school will let you do that, it would be your easiest option.

obeshy

Reaction score
I'm taking exercise physiology through UNM, the course is PT 351: clinical exercise in physical therapy. Most the lectures are based on physical therapy examples, they offer it during the summer and regular semester year. It's a good option for me because UNM is my top PT school choice and its listed in their admissions page, so Im guessing its fine.

The only downside is, if you are not an NM resident, it will cost an arm and leg to take class.

somehowmadeit

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
UCLA Extension course is only about $650 if I remember correctly - It was a slog, but doable and the information was great. Terrible textbook though...

situational

Reaction score
Currently I am taking UCLA's online extension course for exercise physiology. Lots of material covered each week. Like somehowmadeit, I think the book sucks. The professor's lecture is a way better read.

grindin

Reaction score
I am thinking of taking this class. Could you describe how the course is? How are the exams? Does it have a proctored exam? I took an online class before which had a brutal proctored final exam that you had to get 70% on to pass the course.
Thanks in advance

abynormal

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The UNM course costs $3000 for a non-NM resident. For in-state tuition the course costs about $980. I just spoke with the instructor and it sounds like it would be a great course to take prior to PT school, but just costs soo much. This is not an option for me as I am a Colorado resident.

Wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone else has more information about online options for Exercise Physiology; I will check with my PT schools of interest to see if the ones mentioned here are acceptable (UCLA @ $650, USSA @ $150, MGH @ $1744).

Did anyone have any problems with schools accepting one of these courses?
Does anyone know of any other online options?

Thank you.

Last edited:

RunHappy

Reaction score
I took the online NC state course to satisfy UNC pre-req. I was NOT impressed. Just videotaped lectures and poorly written multiple choice tests.

futureDPT1203

Reaction score
I took an online class through a community college - Coastline Community College. The course was completely self study - read on your own, then take exams, complete certain assignments, post on messageboards etc - but I have not had any trouble with it fulfilling my prerequisites (yet!). It was around $200.

Reactions: 1 user

Highlife.himalayas

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took an online class through a community college - Coastline Community College. The course was completely self study - read on your own, then take exams, complete certain assignments, post on messageboards etc - but I have not had any trouble with it fulfilling my prerequisites (yet!). It was around $200.

hey did this class work out for you? I'm concerned that this course is under "physical education" and not biology. did your schools pre-approve?

luna88

Reaction score
I saw some option through MGH. It is quite pricey though. Best of luck!

Phyline

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw some option through MGH. It is quite pricey though. Best of luck!
I took this class, it's fantastic. But QUITE pricey (I had an employee 50% discount).

futureDPT_ca

Reaction score
Hi Phyline, did you take the exercise physiology class at MGH? How much of a time commitment was it and is it hard to get a good grade in?

I'm taking another pre-req class and I work full time so trying to figure out the best exercise physio to take prior to starting my PT program in June! thanks in advance :)

futurePT2017

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know about UNC but my school let me take the undergraduate level of that online course, 320 I think, and it was significantly cheaper that way. Still expensive but not as bad.

ptstudent408

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took Exercise Physiology through American Public University as an online class. It was 8 weeks long, 3 credit hours, and I believe was $810 for the tuition. Ohio State, who I was taking the class for, approved me to take it as an online class. The other benefit of American Public is that the classes start monthly , so you have a lot of flexibility to decide when to start.

The class itself was not too hard, especially the first few weeks if you have already taken A&P, most of the beginning work was review of the musculoskeletal system. My professor was Dr. Thomas Walker, and while he was a fairly strict grader, he always responded promptly to any questions and was very involved in the discussion boards.

I can upload the syllabus for the class if you are interested.

Phyline

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Phyline, did you take the exercise physiology class at MGH? How much of a time commitment was it and is it hard to get a good grade in?

I'm taking another pre-req class and I work full time so trying to figure out the best exercise physio to take prior to starting my PT program in June! thanks in advance :)

I also worked FT! Not hard at all, some time commitment - most time goes into scouting through research papers for your long answer questions. Very doable.

The cost is almost $1800 though, steer away if you want to save money o_O

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app