Online First Aid/CPR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted889094

I'm assuming this is the same for every school, but I have to be First Aid/CPR certified by the time of matriculation. It looks like there are several websites where you can do online certification, which seem preferable because they are far cheaper, and it's pretty convenient. Does anyone know if this is legit? Or would it be a mistake to do the certification over the internet?

Members don't see this ad.

If you want CPR certification you have to do that part in person (at least every time I did the online portion you still had to go prove you can do CPR in person).

I'm assuming this is the same for every school, but I have to be First Aid/CPR certified by the time of matriculation. It looks like there are several websites where you can do online certification, which seem preferable because they are far cheaper, and it's pretty convenient. Does anyone know if this is legit? Or would it be a mistake to do the certification over the internet?
CPR requires physical skills and practice. Are they going to mail you a dummies to practice on?

Members don't see this ad :)
CPR requires physical skills and practice. Are they going to mail you a dummies to practice on?
I don't know how they would plan to verify anything. I guess I'm just not looking forward to doing it for the fourth time :rolleyes:

So I really just need to do the classes somewhere in my city, yeah?

I don't know how they would plan to verify anything. I guess I'm just not looking forward to doing it for the fourth time :rolleyes:

So I really just need to do the classes somewhere in my city, yeah?
Yes.
Google it for your community, or call the fire department, or the hospital, or the community center, and see what they have. Or call the med school hospital where you'll matriculate and ask their dates of available classes for certification or recertification (if you won't be past the expiration date by then).

AHA has an online class that has you go in to do a hands on portion later to complete the certification which is legit but it costs as much as doing the whole thing in class.

Yes.
Google it for your community, or call the fire department, or the hospital, or the community center, and see what they have. Or call the med school hospital where you'll matriculate and ask their dates of available classes for certification or recertification (if you won't be past the expiration date by then).
Ok thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
You might want to call the Red Cross. I checked a couple of years back and they had some online courses.

.... this can't be a real thing?

In order to have useful knowledge of CPR you MUST have spent time practicing chest compressions - book knowledge is not enough. The mechanics of compressions, the appropriate rate, force, etc., that make compressions effective are not intuitive for many people and you should definitely take an in-person class. (Source: am a CPR instructor)

Plenty of places will offer this for free (my org does!) or less than <$20. I know AHA has recently upped the price for orgs that offer their classes but I believe ASHI is a cheaper option that has the same material

If you are still in Uni then you can check out your local pre-med clubs to see if they offer any classes. Most clubs work out a deal with CPR/FA companies to provide affordable classes for students.

.... this can't be a real thing?

In order to have useful knowledge of CPR you MUST have spent time practicing chest compressions - book knowledge is not enough. The mechanics of compressions, the appropriate rate, force, etc., that make compressions effective are not intuitive for many people and you should definitely take an in-person class. (Source: am a CPR instructor)

Plenty of places will offer this for free (my org does!) or less than <$20. I know AHA has recently upped the price for orgs that offer their classes but I believe ASHI is a cheaper option that has the same material

One thing to remember is that doing CPR is rather physically demanding. You will be sweating and you may be vomited on. Your back will (most likely) get sore/tense. So, gaining some physical endurance/conditioning is highly recommend.