Online Histology (or other Biomedical courses)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

COgoatguy

MSU c/o 2023
Reaction score
Hello all, so I applied this cycle and haven’t had much luck, I still have a couple schools to hear back from but I’d like to be proactive just in case I need to reapply next cycle. My question is are there any good online Histology, or other upper divisional biomedical (BM) courses, that won’t break the bank available. I did an advising meeting and it was recommended to continue to take BM courses as a non degree seeking student, however I’ve essentially taken all available classes at my current university. So I’m looking towards online classes. Thanks for your help!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently in an online aquatic histology course at University of Florida for non-degree seeking students, I'm not sure if it is open to non-graduate level students. It's good if you are interested in fish and inverts!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently in an online aquatic histology course at University of Florida for non-degree seeking students, I'm not sure if it is open to non-graduate level students. It's good if you are interested in fish and inverts!
If I will be graduating this spring, would I be considered a graduate level student? Also do you have a link to the course?

Hello all, so I applied this cycle and haven’t had much luck, I still have a couple schools to hear back from but I’d like to be proactive just in case I need to reapply next cycle. My question is are there any good online Histology, or other upper divisional biomedical (BM) courses, that won’t break the bank available. I did an advising meeting and it was recommended to continue to take BM courses as a non degree seeking student, however I’ve essentially taken all available classes at my current university. So I’m looking towards online classes. Thanks for your help!!

Doane University has a "Prerequisites for Health Professions" program that is wholly online. Might be worth checking out - quite a few courses are offered in quick, 8-week terms.

Reactions: 1 user
You could check out UCSD Extension! Basic Sciences | UC San Diego Extension

They have online, upper-level, transcriptable science courses. Immunology, Pharmacology, Stem Cell Biology, etc. I'm currently doing the physiology, and it is very laid back and straight forward.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you everyone, this was great advice to start looking into an online class. Hopefully I don’t have too, but I’m trying to prepare just in case.

They have online, upper-level, transcriptable science courses. Immunology, Pharmacology, Stem Cell Biology, etc. I'm currently doing the physiology, and it is very laid back and straight forward.

I am planning to take this course! I have a few questions about it, can you PM me?

Hi! Could you tell me more about your experience online with UCSD Extension (exam format, schedule, syllabus, grading, etc)? Also, does your transcript indicate 'online' or how does your transcript look like once you completed the course? Thanks!

Also, does your transcript indicate 'online' or how does your transcript look like once you completed the course?
I didn’t take any classes there, but regardless of whether there is an “online” designation or not, you need to make sure online classes are accepted by ALL vet schools you apply to and that they will accept this specific course. Don’t try and hide it from schools and hope they won’t notice. They will.

Hi! Could you tell me more about your experience online with UCSD Extension (exam format, schedule, syllabus, grading, etc)? Also, does your transcript indicate 'online' or how does your transcript look like once you completed the course? Thanks!

I have had a good experience, and have taken 4 courses so far. Each is different in the format, exams, assignments, grading just as how in-person courses vary. They have been very straightforward and after having completed a Masters, I personally don't find them too difficult. I haven't ordered a transcript yet but I can tell you that it is a normal transcript but would state that the institution is "UCSD Extension" and not just "UCSD". Even when doing my VMCAS transcript entry, the institution is "UCSD Extension".

Like Ski said, you would need to double check with each program what they would accept. I have already looked into/discussed what is accepted with the schools I'm applying to. Some schools will not accept pre-reqs that are taken online. Purdue, for example, clearly states they will not accept online labs so the UCSD Extension Microbiology with lab course would not satisfy their requirement. The schools I have talked to have not given me any impression that the extension courses I am taking will be considered "lesser" for being online, but it is just a matter of what their policies are on accepting online pre-reqs.

Reactions: 1 user
I have had a good experience, and have taken 4 courses so far. Each is different in the format, exams, assignments, grading just as how in-person courses vary. They have been very straightforward and after having completed a Masters, I personally don't find them too difficult. I haven't ordered a transcript yet but I can tell you that it is a normal transcript but would state that the institution is "UCSD Extension" and not just "UCSD". Even when doing my VMCAS transcript entry, the institution is "UCSD Extension".

Like Ski said, you would need to double check with each program what they would accept. I have already looked into/discussed what is accepted with the schools I'm applying to. Some schools will not accept pre-reqs that are taken online. Purdue, for example, clearly states they will not accept online labs so the UCSD Extension Microbiology with lab course would not satisfy their requirement. The schools I have talked to have not given me any impression that the extension courses I am taking will be considered "lesser" for being online, but it is just a matter of what their policies are on accepting online pre-reqs.
Hi Elizabeth,
Do you have any other UC extension school recommendations for basic sciences