Online lectures?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RexKD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here have their courses available for viewing online? Is this an accepted part of medical school curricula these days? Are the videos available all 4 years if you want to review? Or are they only available while the course is active?

Members don't see this ad.

RexKD said:
Does anyone here have their courses available for viewing online? Is this an accepted part of medical school curricula these days? Are the videos available all 4 years if you want to review? Or are they only available while the course is active?

I can only speak for UT Houston, but we have access to this years lectures as well as last years. There are no lectures for third and fourth year.

I go to every lecture and watching the lectures at 2X speed is a great review. I think many schools do this like Baylor, Texas A&M, UTSA, ect... If you are pre-med you can find out when you go on interviews or by simply calling the school.

MSI and MSII lectures are recorded and made available as streaming content every day, if the lecturer allows it (some have refused to be recorded). Only activities in the amphitheater are recorded. They are available for the rest of the year. However, at my school we pay a "technology fee" that's around $1600 this year (MSII, it's different for MSI, MSIII and MSIV) which is a lot considering out tuition is $5K a year. With this fee we have wireless internet, the computer center, 200 pages every 3 month for printing at the computer center, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
The University of Minnesota also has its lectures online...and I must admit it was a big draw for me. Some days sleeping in sounds oh so much more fun than dragging my arse to an 8:00 lecture. :rolleyes:

Waynes are online as well, except for certain patient panels and a couple of prof's who want to guarantee a full house. We have access to just the courses that are current.

Miami has all first and second year courses on-line

DigDog said:
Miami has all first and second year courses on-line

And they're available for 2 years so that you could go back and review something before the USMLE. They were definitely a key selling point for me and make life A LOT easier. :thumbup:

At Maryland we have video and MP3 of all lectures posted online an hour after they're given. All notes and powerpoints are up a few weeks in advance. We have access throughout our 4 years to any material in our current year or those already completed (but can't access year 2 stuff during year 1).

Penn does too... as for the details about it, ask me again in August.

For those of you at schools with taped lectures available:

Do students attend lecture less? (I am especially curious to hear from students where their school started taping lectures.)

Do students who would normally go to lecture, stop going?

Do students who would normally miss many lectures watch the video?

Thanks for your help! I am trying to get my school to tape lectures, but the big arguement seems to be that students will stop going....

All lectures at Wake are taped. I hear that lectures next quarter don't draw that many people because everything (powerpoints, assignments, lectures) are online.

AlaskaGirl said:
The University of Minnesota also has its lectures online...and I must admit it was a big draw for me. Some days sleeping in sounds oh so much more fun than dragging my arse to an 8:00 lecture. :rolleyes:

Always happy to hear good things about it. I used to be one of the students running the program. All lectures are kept, and hopefully starting soon one will be able to use our curriculum database to search a particular topic to see where it was covered and to find all the materials associated with that lecture (handouts, student notes, recorded lecture, etc).

Arsenic810 said:
And they're available for 2 years so that you could go back and review something before the USMLE. They were definitely a key selling point for me and make life A LOT easier. :thumbup:

Also, Miami has two campuses: one in downtown Miami and another in Boca Raton, Fl. The beauty of having two professors teaching the same material is that I can watch the other campus' lecture if I don't understand something from my own.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, you're saying that there's actually a class that sits and listens to a professor in a lecture hall. Huh. I never made the connection. I thought the recordings were just for me and were done in the Dominican Republic. Maybe I'll get a map of campus and find this "lecture hall".

Online lectures are FANTASTIC. If you didn't quite understand a concept the prof went over, then it may be convenient to watch a section of the lecture again. Or if you don't like going to lecture, then it's great to have to watch whenever you please. There's even a plug-in, ENOUNCE, that you can DL to watch them at 2.5 speed (PM me to get it for free :D) . Some ppl don't see the point in attending class for 4 hours when you can get the same material in 2 hours or less.
I'm a first year and this is our third week, so I can't comment on class attendance for our class just yet, but I hear about 1/3 of the second year class regularly attends lectures. :eek:

would anyone mind giving me access to their video lectures?

User7824 said:
would anyone mind giving me access to their video lectures?

Ummm no. That is illegal. Get into medical school and then you can experience it for yourself.

or maybe you can upload them. thanks.

User7824 said:
or maybe you can upload them. thanks.

You are asking the wrong crowd: people you don't know, and med students who don't know enough about computers.

Universities that use online lectures post them according to an algorithm such as www.school.edu/lecture/YEARMONTHDAYHOUR.rm. Most medical students do not know what an algorithm is, much less how they could crack it. Further, you aren't going to find anyone here on SDN is willing to break the law by supplying you with a username and password. Your best bet would be to make friends with someone in the IT department at a medical school. Then, get him drunk one day and seduce him for the code or algorithm.

The best part is that if you don't like your lecturer, you can watch the video from previous years that were given by someone else.

deuist said:
You are asking the wrong crowd: people you don't know, and med students who don't know enough about computers.

Universities that use online lectures post them according to an algorithm such as www.school.edu/lecture/YEARMONTHDAYHOUR.rm. Most medical students do not know what an algorithm is, much less how they could crack it. Further, you aren't going to find anyone here on SDN is willing to break the law by supplying you with a username and password. Your best bet would be to make friends with someone in the IT department at a medical school. Then, get him drunk one day and seduce him for the code or algorithm.

ah, very helpful. thank you friend.

I know that in recent years at least one school has moved their lectures online system from a weak username/password control system to a very robust and mature one. I would assume that other schools are following suit as it's recognized that these online lectures represent an important and intellectually valuable resource.