Online Master's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

projectpremed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! So I have a problem and I need some advice. I applied to a master's program at my undergrad university and they didn't let me know till today that I was rejected from the program. Now I am scrambling on what to do next semester. I found an online master's program through the University of Florida. Would this look horrible to medical schools considering it is online? I currently have a 3.1 so I need to take classes this year to show I can handle upper-level classes. Some of the classes in this master include virology, infectious diseases, and immunology. My main worry is that it is an online degree. Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Is the program an SMP? If not, it won’t help raise your undergrad GPA. Online learning seems to be the norm now and won’t count against you, but it’s better to take some higher level undergrad science classes.

Reactions: 1 user
I should have clarified! It is not an SMP but I don't plan on raising my undergrad GPA but instead I want to prove I can perform well in hard upper level classes!

Members don't see this ad :)
Upper div undergrad classes are usually considered more rigorous (in terms of grading and achievement) than grad school classes. Grad school classes are usually considered inflated and aren't going to help much if your weakness is GPA. I would recommend signing up for some upper div undergrad classes through a 4-year college (i.e. UNE or UC Extension online, local schools).

Basically, an A in graduate immunology is worth a good amount less than an A in undergraduate immunology, just due to grade inflation in grad classes.

Reactions: 1 users
Master's grades (online or not) do not remediate a weak undergraduate performance, at least at MD schools.
They are not averaged into the AMCAS gpa that is used to consider applicants. They appear on an entirely separate line.

DO schools see things differently.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Master's grades (online or not) do not remediate a weak undergraduate performance, at least at MD schools.
They are not averaged into the AMCAS gpa that is used to consider applicants. They appear on an entirely separate line.

DO schools see things differently.
Does this hold true for SMP programs as well? I know the courses will still be listed as graduate GPA, but are they considered "grade inflated" by most adcoms?

I just recently completed an SMP(>3.8GPA), but my undergrad grades were pretty rough (<3.0). I'm now wondering if I should keep taking post bacc courses instead of working full time in a lab while I apply.

Last edited:
Does this hold true for SMP programs as well? I know the courses will still be listed as graduate GPA, but are they considered "grade inflated" by most adcoms?

I just recently completed an SMP(>3.8GPA), but my undergrad grades were pretty rough (<3.0). I'm now wondering if I should keep taking post bacc courses instead of working full time in a lab while I apply.
SMP's are different. Many medical schools will have an understanding of how they differ.