Online MHA for a doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trogghunter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have seen that some programs like U of Missouri and U of Colorado have online MHA degrees that cost like $8000 total. Anyone think that it would be worthwhile pursuing one of these as a practicing physician in order to learn more about the subject and to get the MHA after your name? I work 90% inpatient/ 10% clinic and in my specialty we always work with administrators who unfortunately have absolutely no idea what the real world of medicine is like, so I can at least meet them half way.

Members don't see this ad.

Not expecting to in the near or long term, but I am interested in figuring out ways to make the system that I work in better for patients and doctors (5 small hospitals). 2 of my colleagues in residency got MHAs from the university affiliated with our program and they have gone into administrative roles at their respective places of employment. I'm planning on clinical work indefinitely, but I want to learn more without paying the tuition they paid. I also don't want to just read books and I wonder if getting the mha after my name would give me more credibility when dealing with admins that I don't typically work with.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not expecting to in the near or long term, but I am interested in figuring out ways to make the system that I work in better for patients and doctors (5 small hospitals). 2 of my colleagues in residency got MHAs from the university affiliated with our program and they have gone into administrative roles at their respective places of employment. I'm planning on clinical work indefinitely, but I want to learn more without paying the tuition they paid. I also don't want to just read books and I wonder if getting the mha after my name would give me more credibility when dealing with admins that I don't typically work with.

I do not see the value in it for you, especially as you lack the desire to transition to administration soon. Like the first 2 years of medical school, much can be learned straight from books. You can also gain experience at your current facilities unlike non-MD admin.

Many MD's transition to administration without a MHA degree and do great work. If your admins won't pay attention to you now as a valuable asset, they will not likely change their opinion based on a couple more letters.

An alternative option that can achieve results without paying for further education and years of effort is to change your strategy of enacting change.

When I desire change, I prefer to politely point out issues in writing/email. Always helps to cc a few people to stimulate fear and make it more difficult to ignore the problem. I research any potential legal flaws with current procedure, include them in writing, and provide a solution. I make sure to reiterate that I am bringing it to attention to better protect the organization, and mention that I am doing my best to provide exemplary patient care through positive change. My goal is to come off as a team player while I attempt to make a change.

Often, I find that at least one of the administrators I email becomes a little fearful of the potential ramifications which results in moving the potential change forward. At the same time, I have proof if a legal issue ever arises that I did my part to prevent the actions.

As a result, I've been offered administrative positions which I have declined due to clinical care paying better.

As a family doc almost 19 years out of residency, I'm asking the same question about online MBAs. I have no desire to work in/for a hospital but deal with a lot of employers and other businesses with my independent practice. At this point in a career, spending the time and money for a traditional MBA would be a waste but the online programs' costs in terms of time and $ seem reasonable for my goals.