Online microbiology lab??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blue88

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
is this a trick question? or do that many people have their own labs? or are pvt micro labs that accessible????

I've never heard of a microbiology class without lab...If you school didn't have the lab class, find a nearby college or university with one (or try to work something out with the biology department at your school - maybe there's a way to get the lab credit? Just explain your situation). Avoid as much online as you can, especially in the science pre-requisites - although english, history, etc. are ok to take online.

Members don't see this ad :)
pretty sure online labs (at least chem and bio) don't really exist since the whole point of them is to do the experiments hands-on

What school did you get into? Certain schools frown on online classes... particularly in the sciences. Like the poster above, I would THINK you need to be in an actual lab.

try negeotiating with a local college to take labs/make up labs for extra money? Thats all I can think of. Or else, goodluck.

believe it or not, there actually IS an online microbiology class WITH LAB!!! i'm taking it right now. it's thru the university of new england.

http://www.une.edu/com/online/micro/

it's awesome. $1250 for the course which includes a text book and the online lab class (it's a virtual lab that you run on your computer). the class is designed to last 16 weeks, and you can start it at any time, meaning you don't have to wait for the "summer session" or anything like that. i highly recommend it!

Reactions: 1 user
believe it or not, there actually IS an online microbiology class WITH LAB!!! i'm taking it right now. it's thru the university of new england.

it's awesome. $1250 for the course which includes a text book and the online lab class (it's a virtual lab that you run on your computer). the class is designed to last 16 weeks, and you can start it at any time, meaning you don't have to wait for the "summer session" or anything like that. i highly recommend it!

WOW :eek:
Since it is a science and most/all sciences require a lab, not only to get hands on experience, but also to understand the actual subject better, would be offered in online format.
bit strange...... :eyebrow:

i used to work in a hospital microbiology lab. all i can say is...WTF

on second thought, eh why not. not nearly as fun IMO but if youre not gonna be a microbiologist then meh whatever.

to be honest, i was surprised myself. however, i work as a scientist in a biotech lab, so the last thing i want to do when i leave work is head to another lab. this class was actually recommended to me by advisers at MCPHS-Worcester. it is geared towards people who are looking to make the move to a medical profession.

and let's be serious. you can have hands-on lab classes all day long, but it's not going to do you much good until you have a REAL LIFE lab that you work in. sure, you get a feel of holding a pipet in your hand. or physically streaking a plate. but this virtual lab does a damn good job of showing you all that on the computer screen. it's basically a video of a real lab, and you move test tubes and plates, can put them in the incubator, and it has real-life outcomes for you to figure out. i really think it's a great option for people who already have an understanding of various science lab procedures. personally, i have to take the class because i don't actually use much microbiology at work, and my pre-req for the class is past the 10 year limit.

to be honest, i was surprised myself. however, i work as a scientist in a biotech lab, so the last thing i want to do when i leave work is head to another lab. this class was actually recommended to me by advisers at MCPHS-Worcester. it is geared towards people who are looking to make the move to a medical profession.

and let's be serious. you can have hands-on lab classes all day long, but it's not going to do you much good until you have a REAL LIFE lab that you work in. sure, you get a feel of holding a pipet in your hand. or physically streaking a plate. but this virtual lab does a damn good job of showing you all that on the computer screen. it's basically a video of a real lab, and you move test tubes and plates, can put them in the incubator, and it has real-life outcomes for you to figure out. i really think it's a great option for people who already have an understanding of various science lab procedures. personally, i have to take the class because i don't actually use much microbiology at work, and my pre-req for the class is past the 10 year limit.

That is really interesting. Technology has surely come a long way!

I understand that a microbiology class can only be lecture based, but a separate microbio lab course is usually offered as well. I actually took both separately at UCSD, a year apart. If not, then I would retake the lec/lab again at a community college. I have never heard of an online lab course before.

i am taking a physiology lab right now that is partly online. it really annoys me. it was certainly not advertised that way. the first day the instructor wrote 3 dates on the board and told us to show up those days for exams, then wrote a website and said that is where the lab stimulations are done, to just hand in the worksheets during lecture.
:eek: it really annoys me. I do the stimulations but it is so boring and I don't feel like I really learn anything! I prefer to be in a lab.

pretty sure online labs (at least chem and bio) don't really exist since the whole point of them is to do the experiments hands-on

U of MN has general bio as independent study - not in the classroom.

Hi Wilson,

I saw your previous post about UNE's Online Microbiology course.

I plan to take UNE's Online Microbiology Lecture and Lab course for one of my pre-reqs for Optometry School.

I was just wondering what your experience was with the course. Was it a hard and demanding course or was it much easier than a traditional format course?

Thanks for your help in advance.

I have a friend who was also an interviewer tell me about a person who tried to convince them that an online chemistry class they took - where they literally did experiments in their own home - adequately prepared the candidate. Let's just say that it did not go well.