Online Organic Chemistry II Retake at UNE...accredited for Allopathic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zaids37

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm retaking my Organic Chemistry II class and read some good things about UNE. However on their website they address that it is accredited for "the American Osteopathic Association (AOA)" but make no mention of allopathic schools. While one reason I am taking this class is for the grade replacement for DO, I would also like it to factor into my sGPA for when I apply to allopathic schools as well (even if it won't improve it by much). Will some allopathic schools not accept this class?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

alot of MD schools don't take online classes for prereqs

alot of MD schools don't take online classes for prereqs

Even if this is my second time taking the class? I already completed it in person at a 4 year institute where I got my degree, I was retaking it to get an A instead of my C-.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even if this is my second time taking the class? I already completed it in person at a 4 year institute where I got my degree, I was retaking it to get an A instead of my C-.

MD schools don't do grade replacements - even for the ones that do accept the online courses.

MD schools don't do grade replacements - even for the ones that do accept the online courses.

I understand that grade replacement doesn't apply, I was just trying to explain my reasoning and since it was suggested to retake any science classes you get a C- or below in thats what I aim to do.

Sorry for the confusion...but you're saying most won't accept the credits, as a retake, at all? (Even though I took it the first time NOT online)

For an important class like Ochem you should really try to take it at least at a place as challenging as your last school, and probably not online. Your "A" will be looked at with a lot of skepticism if you go this route.

I understand that grade replacement doesn't apply, I was just trying to explain my reasoning and since it was suggested to retake any science classes you get a C- or below in thats what I aim to do.

Sorry for the confusion...but you're saying most won't accept the credits, as a retake, at all? (Even though I took it the first time NOT online)

Most schools won't accept online courses in the science category even if you taken it before. Stanford and UCSD, for example, don't.

Most schools won't accept online courses in the science category even if you taken it before. Stanford and UCSD, for example, don't.

So when you say they don't accept them, you mean they exclude them from the sGPA and cGPA? I'm somewhat in the same situation as OP. I don't need to retake any prereqs for better grades, but I took them 8-10 years ago and need a refresher for the MCAT. I have a downward trend my senior year from having major surgery, but not in prereq classes. So, I need some overall GPA repair and was hoping to do that with the UC Berkeley online math and science courses since: 1) I work an erratic surgery schedule and would likely miss several classes and exams in a physical classroom, 2) I'm maxed out on UG Stafford loans and can't afford a formal post-bac + living expenses in the Bay Area and 3) my company will pay for the courses.

Not trying to derail thread from OP. But just trying to get clarification on what "not accepting" means, and what (if any) other options might we have.

Thank you.

So when you say they don't accept them, you mean they exclude them from the sGPA and cGPA? I'm somewhat in the same situation as OP. I don't need to retake any prereqs for better grades, but I took them 8-10 years ago and need a refresher for the MCAT. I have a downward trend my senior year from having major surgery, but not in prereq classes. So, I need some overall GPA repair and was hoping to do that with the UC Berkeley online math and science courses since: 1) I work an erratic surgery schedule and would likely miss several classes and exams in a physical classroom, 2) I'm maxed out on UG Stafford loans and can't afford a formal post-bac + living expenses in the Bay Area and 3) my company will pay for the courses.

Not trying to derail thread from OP. But just trying to get clarification on what "not accepting" means, and what (if any) other options might we have.

Thank you.

Hey man. I actually went ahead and did my own research afterwards. Buy the MSAR and it will show you the statistic of all the schools (which is very helpful in general) as well as show if they accept online or not. I know that most DO schools will accept credit if you use UNE online classes, not sure about UC Berkeley. Of all the MD schools I was planning to apply to only one had a red X in the section that asked if they accepted online classes. It should be fine, especially given your circumstances. I think its better to focus on the bigger picture than nit picking little details to make your application shine

Thanks for the input, Zaids37! I'm still doing my own research as well, but I think you might be right :)

I have the MSAR and it says Stanford and UCSD do accept certain online science courses. Did you get your information about online course acceptance from the schools directly?

Thanks for the input, Zaids37! I'm still doing my own research as well, but I think you might be right :)

I have the MSAR and it says Stanford and UCSD do accept certain online science courses. Did you get your information about online course acceptance from the schools directly?

It's probably best to call the school, regardless of what the MSAR says.