• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Online pre-requisites due to COVID?

coffeespeechrepeat

May 4, 2020
  1. Pre-Audiology
So I live and go to college in Mid-hudson NY and I'm concerned that classes will still be remote in the fall (when I planned to start taking premed courses). For some background, I've taken some basic premed courses like bio, chem and calc a decade ago and didn't do fantastic, so the bulk of my prereqs are going to be re-takes...

I'm wondering if it's a bad idea to start taking them if they're going to be on an online basis? My record is already sort-of tarnished from a long time ago and I don't want to sell myself short to medical schools when the time comes. Should I wait until on-campus classes resume to start the actual pre-requisites? Does it matter?

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
  1. Non-Student
****The Novel Corona Virus/COVID-19 & the Future for Premeds(Post Count #025)****
Because of COVID-19 and the very dynamic changes this will bring throughout society for the this year (and likely for the next 2-3 years if pandemics of the 20th century would indicate), questions will come up again and again about online prereqs, P/F courses, MCAT prep and testing, volunteering, shadowing, Physician LOR, lab requirements, virtual interviews, etc. However, there is no definitive answer as no one knows which schools will act in which ways, nor how the upcoming cycle will happen. However, as medical schools are on the front lines of this both in treating patients as well as setting appropriate behavior for community public health, it would seems reasonable that most medical schools will take into consideration over the next few years at least. In this time of crisis, we all must learn to live with uncertainty and ambiguity about the future.

*Coronavirus (COVID-19) and AMCAS FAQ
*Coronavirus (COVID-19) and The MCAT Exam FAQ
*Joint Statement from the Admissions Deans of California Medical Schools Regarding Academic Work and MCAT Tests that are Affected by the COVID-19 Outbreak
*TMDSAS Update: COVID-19 Impacts on EY 2021
*Brown University Covid-19 Pre-Health/Pre-Med FAQ
(Brown’s Pre-Med FAQ above provides good summary of issues at bottom of their page)
*SUNY Upstate Information for Fall 2021 Cycle College of Medicine Applicants

Reactions: 1 user

GreenDuck12

7+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2014
  1. Medical Student
I would not wait until classes resume in person. I would start taking classes as planned at an institution that will offer classes in person once the pandemic ends ie I would not enroll in classes at online programs such as UNE, ASU, and BYU.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.