online prereqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tzhryan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was wondering about prereq classes taken online. I see that I can take Chemistry online with an online lab? Is this possible? If so does it still count and do DO schools accept it?

Members don't see this ad.

Was wondering about prereq classes taken online. I see that I can take Chemistry online with an online lab? Is this possible? If so does it still count and do DO schools accept it?

There are a bagillion posts about this, but to answer your questions, yes, yes and yes. (Your second sentence wasn't really a question, although you ended it with a question mark.) :poke: Just messin' with ya.

You will get conflicting opinions about how schools view online courses, but I think the majority are fine with it.

And as I've stated before, unless it specifically states on your transcript that the course was delivered online, their not going to know you took it online anyway.

For the record, I took all of my pre-reqs online. But, my personal/work situation called for this... I would recommend taking them in-person if you are a hands-on learner.

Reactions: 1 user
There are a bagillion posts about this, but to answer your questions, yes, yes and yes. (Your second sentence wasn't really a question, although you ended it with a question mark.) :poke: Just messin' with ya.

You will get conflicting opinions about how schools view online courses, but I think the majority are fine with it.

And as I've stated before, unless it specifically states on your transcript that the course was delivered online, their not going to know you took it online anyway.

For the record, I took all of my pre-reqs online. But, my personal/work situation called for this... I would recommend taking them in-person if you are a hands-on learner.

You took your sciences classes with the lab online?

Members don't see this ad :)
While I believe most schools accept it ( I'm sure some outright reject it), it is not ideal as in truth the experience of actual work within a lab environment is not only beneficial but integral in deciding the competence of an individual in the sciences, more so even than the theory components.

I think the UNECOM courses are relatively respected, but I am inclined to believe that application wise you're not doing yourself any favors.

While I believe most schools accept it ( I'm sure some outright reject it), it is not ideal as in truth the experience of actual work within a lab environment is not only beneficial but integral in deciding the competence of an individual in the sciences, more so even than the theory components.

I think the UNECOM courses are relatively respected, but I am inclined to believe that application wise you're not doing yourself any favors.

This is a good point. I would advise taking in-class courses, especially if you are an auditory learner. (I mistakenly said hands-on learner above.) I've always learned best by teaching myself, so for me it worked. All of my chemistry courses required that you purchase lab kits and conduct experiments in your kitchen. I'm proud to say I still have a kitchen, and eye lashes.

Yup. BIOL 1 & 2, CHEM 1, 2, 3, &4 and PHYS 1 & 2. Taking Biochem in the fall in-class.

I only ask because most schools like to see labs done in a "lab" environment.

This is a good point. I would advise taking in-class courses, especially if you are an auditory learner. (I mistakenly said hands-on learner above.) I've always learned best by teaching myself, so for me it worked. All of my chemistry courses required that you purchase lab kits and conduct experiments in your kitchen. I'm proud to say I still have a kitchen, and eye lashes.

That's actually an interesting learning method. Obviously you're not going to be allowed to play around with some of chemicals that require fumigation, but I imagined that most of these labs entailed you doing a game of plugging in numbers, java based animations happening, and colors indicating that you've grasped it followed by questions.

That's actually an interesting learning method. Obviously you're not going to be allowed to play around with some of chemicals that require fumigation, but I imagined that most of these labs entailed you doing a game of plugging in numbers, java based animations happening, and colors indicating that you've grasped it followed by questions.

I can't tell if your comment was sarcastic or not. Haha.

But yeah, in addition to the actual experiments, there were several instructional "games" that went along with the course/lab materials. A majority of it being movie clips and animations where you had to explain what chemicals were being used to cause X reaction and so forth. Our exams were proctored on-campus.

NO.

No reputable school will accept an basic sciences class, with an ONLINE LAB COMPONENT. Virtual labs are nothing like real lab situations, and should never be treated like they are.

If it is just a lecture style course, then sure, but no, no online labs.

Not trying to be rude at all, but the information above is totally incorrect. OP, just search the forums and you'll find plenty of info on this topic. There are several now-med students and residents who have taken their pre-reqs online.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks FutureDrB for your imput I really do appreciate it. Are you applying this cycle?

Not trying to be rude at all, but the information above is totally incorrect. OP, just search the forums and you'll find plenty of info on this topic. There are several now-med students and residents who have taken their pre-reqs online.

With online labs?

Online lectures are fine and done, but online labs, are laughable.

Members don't see this ad :)
The problem I am seeing is that there are multiple people who go both ways on this. I do understand how having an online lab can be weird

The problem I am seeing is that there are multiple people who go both ways on this. I do understand how having an online lab can be weird

Ask your schools. I was in the situation, asked and was told no online labs, and took it in person at night.

The best thing to do is call the school you want to apply to and ask them about it. However, how will the school know that you've taken the class online without it specifically indicating on your transcript that the course was taken online? Everything is verified via AACOMAS and i believe they do not ask whether a class was taken online or not, neither does AMCAS.

Thanks FutureDrB for your imput I really do appreciate it. Are you applying this cycle?

No problem. I'm applying next year.

Like I said before, you will get conflicting opinions on this. But as I stated, there have been plenty of people around here who've gone the online route, including labs. You'll also see these same people pointing out that it really doesn't matter if it was online or not, because unless it specifically states on your transcript that it was an online course, the schools will never know anyway.

@GreyF0X just mentioned this very thing above as I was typing this response.

(There is also a topic where people comment about never being asked in interviews regarding what format their courses were taken.)

There is also a thread on here from a few days ago where someone posted a list of all of the schools and their official position on online courses, all but two said it was fine. I want to say the two were Harvard and some other Ivy League institution.

I'll also go "on the record"... haha... as saying online labs (in my opinion) are much more difficult than in-person labs, because usually you are teaching yourself a lot of the material, and working alone. So I'm not sure why online courses/labs have a stigma of being easier or less-educational.

I know the labs I've taken for other science courses were a joke. Pretty much show up and get an A. Plus, since you almost always work in a group, one person ends up doing all of the work, so unless you really take the initiative to be a part of the group, it can be hard to grasp the material.

I think its fine taking online coursework, it doesn't matter about the "prestige" of the institution where you have taken you're pre-reqs online. You're going to be evaluated on all of you're pre-reqs on the MCAT anyways, if you do well then it truly did not matter if the pre-req was online or not. I'm sure some prefer the course be taken in person because, as @FutureDrB stated, there is a stigma to these online courses with some people but i believe its more stigmatized with allopathic schools since they want an applicant with a 5.0 GPA, over 9000 MCAT score, and EC's where you have saved the universe at least twice.

I think its fine taking online coursework, it doesn't matter about the "prestige" of the institution where you have taken you're pre-reqs online. You're going to be evaluated on all of you're pre-reqs on the MCAT anyways, if you do well then it truly did not matter if the pre-req was online or not. I'm sure some prefer the course be taken in person because, as @FutureDrB stated, there is a stigma to these online courses with some people but i believe its more stigmatized with allopathic schools since they want an applicant with a 5.0 GPA, over 9000 MCAT score, and EC's where you have saved the universe at least twice.

They really need a hammer hitting a nail on the head "emoticon". Isn't what those little face thingees are called? I dunno, I'm old.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone --

Quick question (I didn't want to create an entirely new thread, either). I also took A&P online, with an online lab. However, on my transcript, it just says A&P I. Could I list it as "A&P I with Online Lab" or "Online A&P I" ?? I didn't do as well due to the online situation, and I would like adcoms to know it was taken online...other than doing this I don't think they'd realize.

Thanks!!

I have a thread posted about this. I listed all the DO schools I contacted that accept online courses. Many of them accept. I think I had two negative responses. I also went through the MSAR and found all the MD schools that accept them or go by a case by case basis.

I took my courses through CCConline. The labs are NOT virtual. They send you a lab kit and you do all the labs at home. They are real labs. I dissected all the animals you would work on in biology. I did titrations, calorimitry, soap creation, and all the other gen chem stuff. In phsyics I set up mini motors, inclined planes, magnetic fields, and everything else.

After taking those classes and just now finishing orgo I and II in person I am in no way less prepared then my counterparts who only go to brick and mortar. Quite frankly, I may be ahead of them because of the fact I needed to do EVERYTHING by myself without instructor assistance. I had to read and learn how to set all my experiments up and perform them successfully. In a normal lab the teacher helps you whenever you're in trouble OR kids just f the whole thing up and copy off of another group.

So yes, online schools are accepted. Yes, you will be just as well off.

Search my posts for "CCConline" and "DO Schools Accepting Online Prerequisites"

This is a great post. I read it after posting my last comment and it looks like we have had identical experiences. I think the last part mentioned here is very important. Labs at most brick and mortar schools are a joke. I'm in orgo lab now and these kids are clueless. Doing my own labs at home forced me to learn this stuff. I'm actually thankful I took the classes in the format I did.

The only caveat to all this is that it's damn near impossible to get a solid LOR if you're taking online work.

No problem. I'm applying next year.

Like I said before, you will get conflicting opinions on this. But as I stated, there have been plenty of people around here who've gone the online route, including labs. You'll also see these same people pointing out that it really doesn't matter if it was online or not, because unless it specifically states on your transcript that it was an online course, the schools will never know anyway.

@GreyF0X just mentioned this very thing above as I was typing this response.

(There is also a topic where people comment about never being asked in interviews regarding what format their courses were taken.)

There is also a thread on here from a few days ago where someone posted a list of all of the schools and their official position on online courses, all but two said it was fine. I want to say the two were Harvard and some other Ivy League institution.

I'll also go "on the record"... haha... as saying online labs (in my opinion) are much more difficult than in-person labs, because usually you are teaching yourself a lot of the material, and working alone. So I'm not sure why online courses/labs have a stigma of being easier or less-educational.

I know the labs I've taken for other science courses were a joke. Pretty much show up and get an A. Plus, since you almost always work in a group, one person ends up doing all of the work, so unless you really take the initiative to be a part of the group, it can be hard to grasp the material.