Online SMP? Apparently so at USF ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cpt Starbuck

Finally on Earth!!!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
No one has any input on this? I see that its NOT an SMP but a 2 year program.

Members don't see this ad :)
The website's not that bad. You want bad, see Tulane.

But unless you're stationed in Afghanistan and have no other choice, then I don't think it gets the job of an SMP done.

Does anyone else have an opinion on or has anyone looked into this program?

In an effort to stimulate discussion:

I am actually considering this program because of my duty location and type. Does anyone have any additional information about it that is not contained in the website? Does anyone who is currently at USF know how their distance learning is structured? I was told by a program coordinator that this program was previously a certificate program, does anyone know anybody who has gone through that?

Answers and opinions are welcome.

In an effort to stimulate discussion:

I am actually considering this program because of my duty location and type. Does anyone have any additional information about it that is not contained in the website? Does anyone who is currently at USF know how their distance learning is structured? I was told by a program coordinator that this program was previously a certificate program, does anyone know anybody who has gone through that?

Answers and opinions are welcome.

I would suggest that you contact Franjesca Jackson or Dr. Barber at USF. They're both very friendly and knowledgeable and can probably give you a lot of valuable insight about the online program. I personally don't think doing the entire program online would be as beneficial as doing it in person, but at the end of the day it is a program through a US allopathic medical school, so it can't be completely written off...

I was recently accepted to USF's online Master's and was looking for insight/opinions as well.

The good thing is that online Master's students get financial aid and student health insurance just as the offline Master's students do. The curriculum--Anatomy, Histology, Biochem, Neuro, Genetics, Immunology/Microbiology, Physiology, Pharmacology, Pathology, etc.--also seems appropriate, but my concern is how medical schools will look at a 100% online SMP.

:confused:

This is just an opinion, but I think medical schools will see the program as part of whatever total picture you show them. Consider a few things...

1. How much can taking a course online change the material? If you remove a possible laboratory component from consideration, what is different about the brand of histology online students are getting? If you call a course medical neuroscience, you damn well better be presenting medical neuroscience.

2. Consider modern lecture courses, they are often taught with Power Point presentations, online study aids, text books, movies and sound bytes. Consider how many medical schools podcast their lectures. Taking these courses online may prepare you for medical school in a way that students taking the same courses in a traditional setting are not getting.

3. Do you have a legitimate, unique or interesting reason for enrolling in the online program? If so, it is well documented (both in these forums and other places) that medical schools love diversity in their classes. Taking these courses online allows you to deal with whatever issue prevents you from attending traditional courses, while allowing you to continue your education at an advanced level. How many other applicants will be able to claim anything remotely close to that? The usual scenario involves taking a year off between undergrad and med school to deal with an issue or to strengthen your academics. Doing both at the same time is unique.

4. Don't forget that a great deal of self motivation and determination will be required to get these classes done. There will be no one to hold your hand, to remind you of assignments due, to make you watch the lectures or to do the reading. While this is usually the case in most college courses, it is even more true with online courses. You will determine how much work you do, how much you get out of it and how well you do.

5. From what I gather, this is the inaugural year for the 100% online mater's. That means you have the opportunity to set the standard as to how schools view the program.

This may not be the traditional method of doing things, but as Jvillegator said in his post "at the end of the day it is a program through a US allopathic medical school, so it can't be completely written off".

I just spoke with Dr. Barber about the format of the program. He says that for the most part, it's narrated Power Points and reading (from text books and other sources), although he notes there will be interactive programs (especially for the 'dissections' in the Anatomy course). He says there will be term papers, some various homework (done through various programs) and plenty of quizzes and exams in all courses. He encourages getting a head start on reading the texts (he says available through Amazon, among other sources). He also notes that a great deal of organization and initiative will be necessary to complete the course.

On a personal note, he was very nice and quite helpful. As was F. Jackson when I spoke with her.

Hope this helps a bit.

Did he say the format of the exams and how they will be given? I wonder if it will have to be done in an SMP format or if it could be broken down to part-time? Just curious if anyone knows. I've sent 3 emails with no response I suppose I'll have to call.

I would venture a guess that exams or quizzes will be given through the BlackBoard program that USF uses. That way the instructor can track exactly who logs into the test, limit the amount of time to take the test, give instant grades (if the test is multiple choice), etc. I tend to think the tests will be multiple choice and short answer in style, simply for ease of creation and grading. Unfortunately, Mrs. Jackson doesn't know much about the program beyond the administrative side and Dr. Barber could only speak for his own class. So I cannot comment on how the other classes will be but I tend to think they will all be similar.

As for part-time...They seem to have the classes pretty structured as far as when they are offered. But originally the program was laid out over 2 years, so they may be willing to let you space it out some. However, given the online nature of the program, it seems sort of 'part-time' any way in that its accommodating to the individual's schedule. Also, Dr. Barber seems to be aware of the unique situations of each student (I hope the other instructors will be too) and that always helps.