1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Kay51, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Kay51

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Online Degrees.
    What does everyone think about them?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Lurkerkat

Lurkerkat Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Depends on the school and it also depends on the type of degree you're getting. I feel online degrees work best with Masters that rely on a lot of individual research that does not require a lab or an instructor. I have a few friends getting their masters degrees online in various areas of marketing and management and it works fine for them. The majority of their work went into their thesis which is something they could do without needing to be in a classroom.

For a bachelors degree... I think it's shaky. From my experience most online courses are much easier than the regular classes. Sure a prof might make it harder, but they accomplish that by throwing a lot of busy work into the mix. I never feel that I learn or retain as much since all tests are open book and offer plenty of time to complete them. Online science degrees... I don't think they offer the same level of education as a traditional degree.

4. Kay51

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    What about science related classes....to hard to take online or what?
    Anyone tried it?

5. eelo

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    You can't get a lab with an online class. I would think that if you took the course online and then took the corresponding lab at an accredited brick-and-mortar school, it would be okay. But without the lab, my guess is that it would be hard to demonstrate any real competency in the subject matter.

6. Jack555

5+ Year Member

Keep in mind some schools don't accept classes that were taken online.

7. ajh88

ajh88 New Member
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I have taken a handful of courses online and will be starting the Creighton web-based program this fall. In my experience, I think that online courses require a lot more motivation for you to *want* to learn the material. Two of my gen ed online classes (logic and macroeconomics) were very easy with little to no busy work - weekly assignments and that was it. Logic had open book exams, but Econ we had to go to campus for closed-book, proctered tests. My current Psych class is the same way - weekly online, open book quizzes with on-campus, closed book exams.

I did take 2 science courses online too - A&P I and II. Technically these didn't require lab components, but we did have "lab" assignments. We had no exams, but 2 very long homework assignments each week. I found these classes to be just as difficult (if not moreso!) than many of the science courses I took as an undergrad. All of my online courses were through a CC.

Bottom line is that it all depends on your instructor (just like with any campus-based course!). Jack makes a good point about checking with prospective schools regarding their policy - the only restriction I've seen for schools I researched was that they would not accept online science courses, but made no mention of gen ed pre-reqs, and not every school has that restriction. I'm not sure if you are thinking of doing all pre-req coursework online, or just a few pre-reqs, but previous posters' points are well-made in that lab components will most likely have to be done on campus.

8. Dr.iz-n

Dr.iz-n Member
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Hi, I took some courses online for science prerequisites (Biochem and Gen Chem). They both had "labs" per se, and they were pretty difficult. I agree it takes a certain level of motivation to do those classes, it keeps you on your toes!
    How do you think you will like the Creighton Online program? I am interested in Applying in 2009 for entry in 2010. How was your interview process/application process? Yea or nay? Will you work part-time? I am getting to start an old job again that I absolutely LOVED in public health, and I want to stay there while I obtain my PharmD degree because they are so flexible, so I was wondering if you thought about working part-time because that is what I wanted do...

9. mrsturtle

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Check w/ the schools you want to attend on their policy and then also check w/ the school where you are taking the classes. At the CC I am attending I take on-line course, but really it is only the lecture that is on-line, I attend the same lab as lecture students and take the same tests, only I take them at the testing center on campus. So the on-line classes don't show up on the transcript any different than a campus-based lecture classes. You must be motivated and organized to take on-line courses.

Good Luck