Only 5 programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrpeters714

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings fellow path enthusiasts-

Reading this board has given me some reason for concern regarding my recent application. You see, I have applied to only five programs (UW, UCSF, Stanford, UCLA, and UCSD). I have been assured by the path faculty here at UCSD that I have nothing to worry about, but then I come to this board and see that many people are applying to 15 or more programs. The faculty here either may just be being nice, or may be out of touch with current trends.

I think that I'm a reasonably competitive applicant (MD/PhD with a good USMLE score and good grades), but I am a chronic worrier. What do people think? Am I going to screw myself? Should I add some more programs? Is path THAT much more competitive than in years past?

I will say that there are at last count SIX people in my MSIV class here at UCSD that have said they are applying for path (three of us are MD/PhDs). I don't know if this meshes with what people are seeing at other schools, but it certainly seems to be more popular.

thanks,

-mrp

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not MD/PHD and my scores are just OK. To top it off I'm involved in a couples match with someone applying for radiology. .:eek: Considering all that, I'm only applying to 16 programs. I don't think that there is any reason to get worked up about it, especially if you performed well in med school.
There are an increased number of individuals who are applying to path who are middle of the road at best. They will probably fill the second and third tier programs leaving fewer spots for FG. I don't think it will effect the top programs. Good Luck.

By the way, how late is late for sending out your application? I'm hoping to get mine out by the end of the week

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, one of the residents I work with was shocked to hear that radiology has gotten competitive along with the other fields you mentioned. He was saying that it was where an FG could easily get a postion 5 years ago.

My radiology other (aka Mr. monkey) is applying to a few more programs than me and is a super competitive student which helps. The number of highly competitive programs we're applying to is minimal in order to not waste too much time/money (gotta apply for prelim/trans yrs too) and improve chances of matching together.

thanks for the good replies.

i realized today that i can apply to up to 10 program on ERAS for no additional cost, so i will probably add on 5 more programs, just cuz.

-mrp

Good move always leave yourself some good alt choices you don't want to scramble. Those west coast schools were not a sure match even in the worst of path years. They will be even more competitive now. That said you will prob get one of your top choices with an MD/PhD and good scores.

Good luck.

I did not apply to only "top" programs. I am a believer in diamonds in the rough. I also would rather eat dirt than scramble. Okay enough cliches.

Mindy

Speaking of diamonds in the rough.....I believe my program is one..........I am a first-year PATH resident at NYU.....and I must say, that I am quite happy. The attendings are very laid back and very cool......and the overall atmosphere is very congenial.....sometimes I feel it's almost like a little family....in agreement to what GP said in one of his earlier posts, I also believe that you have to see if you'd "fit in" with the people of the department; after all, that is where you are going to be for the next 4-5 years.

What's "in the rough" about NYU? I thought that was a pretty well-renowned program.

El duderino,

Yes, you are absolutely right. NYU always had a pretty well-renowned reputation. There used to be alot of big names over here. Unfortunately, alot of the older, well-known faculty have left. In addition, we have recently lost some senior faculty because they decided to take jobs in private practice/community hospital settings. So I guess that is what I was referring to with my "in the rough" statement. On the whole, the training is fabulous, the attendings are really cool and laid back, and there are alot of opportunities for research.

Every school has had some loss of staff to private practice. I think this is a good thing though. I believe it is a result of the path job market looking better and better.