Ontario recruiting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

earmuff

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just received a mailer from a recruiting agency that claims as of december 1, 2008, US trained physicians will no longer need any additional certification or exams to practice in Ontario.

Can anyone connfirm or deny?

They are holding a recruiting seminar in Boston on the first of december...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
The mailer is from "HealthForceOntario Marketing and Recruitment Agency"

healthforceontario.ca

Agreed that it would be cool (if it's true)....

I had heard that this was going to happen. So it looks good for US trained MD or DOs who want to return to Ontario to practice!

here's the correct link:
http://www.cpso.on.ca/policies/policies/default.aspx?id=1778

there are now 4 pathways depending on where you did your residency training. Basically, if you do a ACGME US residency and are board-certified, you do not have to take the Canadian licensing exams. That's very good news!

Last edited:
here's the correct link:
http://www.cpso.on.ca/policies/policies/default.aspx?id=1778

there are now 4 pathways depending on where you did your residency training. Basically, if you do a ACGME US residency and are board-certified, you do not have to take the Canadian licensing exams. That's very good news!

That's good news. However, they don't seem to specify anything about Canadians that graduate from osteopathic medical schools. I assume if a DO completes an ACGME residency then that should be OK, since IMG's seem to be acceptable even though they are graduates of non-LCME accredited medical schools?

I still don't find it as such good news! In fact, I find it demeaning that I need to be supervised for one year if I had my education and training in the USA!
The first step to fix the shortage of physicians is to loosen up their superiority complex.

Yeah, the four pathways are not that enticing. Sometimes, in the U.S., you have to finish your residency before taking your board certification exam. So it is unlikely that you will be able to move to Ontario right after the end of your U.S. residency.

Getting a supervisor for a year is also a joke.

Lastly, even if you end up getting independent license to practice in Ontario, you can't practice in other provinces because almost all of them require you to have LMCC. So you still might end up needing to take MCC QE Part 1 and 2.

Nay, it is not that great of a deal.

In the U.S. once you are board-eligible (i.e. just as long as you finish your ACGME-approved residency), you can do whatever you want. In Canada, you have to be board-/college-certified and it just drags on.

Hi everyone,

I am a Recruitment and Relocation Advisor with the HealthForceOntario Marketing and Recruitment Agency (HFO MRA). I have noticed several posts on this forum with questions about routes to practice medicine in Ontario. The CPSO recently announced changes to the licensing requirements in the province. Further details regarding the 4 Pathway's can be found on the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario's website at http://www.cpso.on.ca/policies/policies/default.aspx?id=1778.

I also wanted to make you aware of a service, available free of charge, that provides accurate and up-to-date information on the subject. If you have any questions about the routes to training, licensure and/or physician practice opportunities in Ontario I would encourage you to contact the HealthForceOntario MRA. Please send an email to [email protected] or visit the HealthForceOntario website for more information: www.healthforceontario.ca

I hope you find this information helpful!

From the site of the CPSO:

"The physician must practice with a mentor and/or supervisor until he or she has successfully completed an assessment"

Is this "board talk" to say one more year of residency:confused:?
Is this "year under supervision" paid at attending level or are we going back to make 45K a year:scared:?
Does anybody know?

Hi everyone,

I am a Recruitment and Relocation Advisor with the HealthForceOntario Marketing and Recruitment Agency (HFO MRA). I have noticed several posts on this forum with questions about routes to practice medicine in Ontario. The CPSO recently announced changes to the licensing requirements in the province. Further details regarding the 4 Pathway's can be found on the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario's website at http://www.cpso.on.ca/policies/policies/default.aspx?id=1778.

I also wanted to make you aware of a service, available free of charge, that provides accurate and up-to-date information on the subject. If you have any questions about the routes to training, licensure and/or physician practice opportunities in Ontario I would encourage you to contact the HealthForceOntario MRA. Please send an email to [email protected] or visit the HealthForceOntario website for more information: www.healthforceontario.ca

I hope you find this information helpful!

Here's some questions:

1) Why is it that the CPSO won't let you even get the ball rolling until you're board CERTIFIED and not board eligible?

I can understand not issuing the license, but why hold up the entire application package?

Last edited:
From the site of the CPSO:

"The physician must practice with a mentor and/or supervisor until he or she has successfully completed an assessment"

Is this "board talk" to say one more year of residency:confused:?
Is this "year under supervision" paid at attending level or are we going back to make 45K a year:scared:?
Does anybody know?

Board certified in the U.S., fellowship after that, on faculty at a major medical center in the U.S. and I get to go up to Canada where I can get a "mentor"/"supervisor" until I've completed an assessment! :love:

So let me get this doubly straight: You want me to be "supervised" by someone who is potentially less qualified then me?

Last edited:
While I dont believe these barriers are required to assure competant practice, they are necessary for the overall sustainability for the healthcare system. The shortage tends only to really effect rural areas, and with the increased number of spots, new programs, its already being addressed. The "superqualified" docs seem to have no problem moving between well known us centers and canadian teaching hospitals.

Just to clarify, during the 12 months a physician is working under supervision or on a restricted certificate, they would have their own billing number and bill OHIP (Ontario Hospital Insurance Plan) just like other doctors. Supervision has no direct impact on earnings.

I also would like to let you know that the CPSO application is valid for 1 year. You can begin the application process prior to your Board Certification, but your application for a license will not be referred to the Registration Committee until you meet their requirements. In the event that you do not pass your exam, you would have wasted your application fee.

I also would like to let you know that the CPSO application is valid for 1 year. You can begin the application process prior to your Board Certification, but your application for a license will not be referred to the Registration Committee until you meet their requirements. In the event that you do not pass your exam, you would have wasted your application fee.

It

Last edited: