Oops

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tucker27705

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Saw the pt, went to the OR to set up for a straight forward orthopedic case. Saw my circulator and some short blonde (surgeon's PA?) standing around doing nothing. So I sez: "Well, where the hell is the surgeon? They're waiting for a mark before they'll bring the pt to the OR."
The short (fairly cute) blonde, whom I've never seen before, sez: "I'm right here."
Oops.

Members don't see this ad.

My first day on the job, I asked where the anesthesiology office was. The CRNA I spoke to directed me to a group of respiratory tech students from the local community college. I said "No, actually I one of the new anesthesiologists." Oops.

Reminds me of a story I heard about a new anesthesiologist, who was having a bit of difficulty placing an arterial line at the start of a case. Paraphrased -

Impatient Surgery Resident: Why don't you page your attending to come do the a-line?

Anesthesiologist: OK.

Impatient Surgery Resident: Good, I'd like to get out of here today.

* anesthesiologist takes his gloves off
* stands, stretches
* walks over to the phone, dials a page, hangs up
* walks back to the patient
* starts working on line again, gets it in
* pager goes off
* looks at pager

Anesthesiologist: Oh. Look at that. Hey, wait, I AM THE ****ING ATTENDING.

Impatient Surgery Resident: :oops:

I got a kick out of that.

Reminds me of a story I heard about a new anesthesiologist, who was having a bit of difficulty placing an arterial line at the start of a case. Paraphrased -

Impatient Surgery Resident: Why don't you page your attending to come do the a-line?

* stands, stretches
* pager goes off
* looks at pager

That's awesome! LOL...cant wait to try that one one day

Members don't see this ad :)
My first day as an ICU attending, we all stood around the CXR's ..waiting for the "attending" to show up....

Everyone..including the MS3's started bitching about how attendings are always late...etc.........

then I said..."well, I guess we should start then?"....

* stands, stretches
* pager goes off
* looks at pager

This is flat-out awesome :D

1st month of internship, rounding on my patients late on a Saturday morning. While I'm seeing elderly Mr. X with heart failure exacerbation (big surprise), in walks an attractive, 20-something female wearing a white coat and scrubs.
Me: "Oh, are you one of the physical therapists?"
Attending: "Oh no, I'm Dr. Y, the weekend attending, nice to meet you."
Turns out she was chief the year before...

95% of the time when I do not wear a white coat outside of the OR I get from the nurses hi I am so glad to see you are you transporting pt x to y. Also I have had patients tell me well you sound like a doctor but you sure do not look like one(what does a doctor look like).

July 1 - new students, new residents, but also brand new attendings. It is absolutely hilarious to see the transformation from day 365 of the last year of residency to day 1 as an attending, especially when some of the attending surgeons discover the new anesthesia attending can't be pushed around any more like they did the day before.