OOS-friendly statistics: how to calculate and use?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buttermellow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Inspired by the wonderful statistic analyses at the top... how can I best used data to calculate which schools I should apply to? I've done a bit of this already myself... I have about 4 spreadsheets going, one of which is a gunnercalc-esque sheet.

Anyways, these are the calculations I've been doing to determine which OOS schools to apply to:

1. #OOS interviews/ #OOS applications
2. #OOS acceptances (not matriculants)/ #OOS interviews
3. #OOS acceptances (not matriculants)/ #OOS interviews
4. % of total interviews that were OOS/ % of matriculants that were OOS

Of course, statistics aren't everything. After using these data to narrow it down, I looked at each school's mission, contiguous state requirements, etc.

For those of you better at statistics than I, is there a better way to go about this? I like to make sense of crazy things with numbers, which is why I've been doing this :p

Members don't see this ad.

I use #OOS in class/#Total in class. So basically just OOS %. I also use #OOS interviewed/#OOS applied. Those together seem to be adequate enough for what I need.

I feel like Randy, trying to come up with some all-factor-encompassing equation :p

images

I was looking at #OOS in class/ # total in class, but then I thought, what if not a lot of OOS applied? So my chances might actually be higher than at somewhere like Rosalind Franklin, where a good % of the class is OOS, but there are waaaay more applications.