Ophthalmology - Match Chances and Should I do a Research Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Okereoo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MS3, applying to Ophthalmology in 2021, and currently unsure if I need a research year. My resume is light on research because I really love to do engineering and entrepreneurship work. My personal statement when applying to med school was about being a leader in both clinical medicine and technical innovation, and it worked well but I'm not sure if residencies appreciate this as much. Here is my resume:

Step 1: 262
Step 2: not yet taken

Work and Service

Co-Founder and Hardware Lead of a Vision Screening Startup:
> Developing hardware+software platform that increases access to comprehensive visual health exams
> Leading development of smallest retinal cameras ever built, along with associated software for auto-alignment, auto-focus, auto-capture
> Responsible for a team of 4 engineers, project lead for contracts worth ~$300k with optical engineering consultants, company valued at $3M based on most recent round of funding. Award from school for Excellence in Entrepreneurship & Innovation

Participating in student-run free clinic for uninsured
> Access-to-Care Team in MS1+2, connecting patients with social services
> Chronic Care Senior in MS3, longitudinally medically managing and coordinating care for 2 complex patients
> Ophthalmology Senior in MS3, seeing patients in ophthalmology clinic

Co-Founder and Clinical Lead of an Oral Health Startup (undergrad to MS2, now dissolved due to pesky insurance regulations)
> Developed hardware+software platform that allows primary care providers to conduct oral health exams, just like dentists
> Raised $300k, completed accelerator in China, initiated clinical trials with premier institutions in India, Bolivia. Top 10 Telemedicine Company @ UCSF Digital Health Awards, Named Global Young Leader in Oral Cancer

Research:
> Contributed to development of a novel perimetry algorithm specific to ptosis, abstract in ARVO, manuscript in review
> Co-author on Nature Eye review article on portable screening technologies, manuscript in review
> Submitted SBIR grant for development of novel retinal cameras from National Science Foundation and NIH for $256k
> Developed HPV plasma DNA assay for head & neck cancer detection in summer between MS1 and MS2, poster presentation

So research is pretty obviously a weak point. No first author publications. I've also been told that my startup work will make me seem greedy, but I just genuinely love building a team and getting funding, and I truly believe that doing it in the private sector accelerates how quickly R&D begins to impact patients.

Really unsure of whether I should do a research year. I don't need to match in the upper echelon like Wills, Bascom Palmer, etc, but I would like to end up at a "good" program, especially Chicago programs like Northwestern, UIC, UChicago because they are closer to home.

What immediate thoughts come to your mind when you see a resume like this, both good and bad?
Am I likely to match with this resume without adding any research?

Really appreciate your help. I fell in love with clinical ophthalmology pretty late, but I'm totally enamored now and am sooo looking forward to residency :)

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Honestly you're good. I'm heavy into ophtho so I read up and talked to a bunch of docs about this. Research is just a way for residencies to see that you can excel in other aspects of life apart from just studying all day. That's why you hear stories about people matching at top institutions with minimal research (I know a girl who matched ortho at JHU with only 2 poster presentations and a case report). They don't have pubs, but they are still filling their time with things they are passionate about, and can show that they've put in the work in some other area in their app. Looks like you're good in that case, especially as you've shown to be an innovative person, have initiative, and have some volunteer work. People recommend doing a research year if you're honest to god planning on doing research as your big selling point throughout residency and beyond. If you're not THAT gung-ho about it, then just a checklist of some projects is fine. Your step looks good too!

The biggest thing would be getting good LORs from ophthalmologists. Especially since it's a small field, LORs are weighted much more compared to other fields. And getting as much honors as you can this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bruh are you serious...

Reactions: 3 users
Normally programs look for at least $5MM ophtho startup evaluations, at least T10. But if you're okay with training in the midwest this should be fine.
The 97th %ile step 1 isn't going to turn any heads, I mean there's still probably at least .1% of med students with a better score who are also applying to the same field.

I'd take 2 research years.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Congrats on your accomplishments! I was also wondering about having a startup/engineering-focused CV as a med student with a background in tech/entrepreneurship. Does being a founder raise any questions/doubts about a candidate's dedication or commitment to residency? While it certainly is impressive and unique, starting up/running a company also could take a lot of time away from residency and also might make an applicant appear as a flight risk.

Dear applicants,

If you did not match this year, I am sorry. It is a complicated process, and sometimes great applicants like yourself fall through the cracks. If you are set on Ophthalmology and plan to embark on this process again, we have a fantastic opportunity to improve your chances of matching into ophthalmology in the coming year. Again!

The Quality Improvement (QI) Fellowship at Kresge Eye Institute is a one year, paid, pre-residency fellowship for MDs or DOs who intend to pursue a residency position for ophthalmology in 2022 - now that programs are integrated your TY year would be 2022.. We are looking for self-motivated research-oriented applicants. The role of the QI Fellow is to create and execute new research projects, and to assist faculty, residents, fellows, and medical students in preparing new projects.

You will also work one to two days a week in the resident-run ophthalmology walk-in clinic under the direct supervision of an attending physician.

The experience that I've had as the current QI fellow has prepared me well for my career ahead. At Kresge, there are numerous resources, friendly and enthusiastic faculty, and an abundance of projects- you can do anything and everything you want. I have been able to initiate my projects in fields that I am interested in as well as assist others. It has been a hectic and fulfilling year, and I am so thrilled to have matched.

If you have any questions about the position, feel free to PM me. If you would like to apply, please send your CAS application packet to Ms. Deborah Chesney, the Program Coordinator, at dchesney @ med.wayne.edu.

Thank you, and good luck!
Good intent but why bump a random thread. Start a new one to promote this.

Savage
Normally programs look for at least $5MM ophtho startup evaluations, at least T10. But if you're okay with training in the midwest this should be fine.
The 97th %ile step 1 isn't going to turn any heads, I mean there's still probably at least .1% of med students with a better score who are also applying to the same field.

I'd take 2 research years.
Savage 🤣🤣🤣