1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Ophtho Competition

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by LR6SO4, Feb 23, 2002.

1. LR6SO4

LR6SO4 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Ok, so here's the deal. I'm in my 2nd year and doing very average (right at the mean in all classes, slightly above in 1st year). I scored an awesome research position with the residency director at an academic institution for this summer. I will be working on a paper with him that he says will be published and my name is going to be on it if it is (evidence based treatment option type, I don't know how well this really looks?) I will also have the opportunity to be with him in the clinical setting as well.

I have not taken Step I yet, but given my current med school grades and MCAT, even ACT scores I should do very average. And so my question is:
    Given that I will not be AOA, not top 25% of my class in the end, and assuming average board scores, will the research and connections with this residency director help me at all providing it all pans out as planned? I would like to do my residency there for geographical reasons, but it's a 'good' academic program and obviously competitive. Do you guys think I stand a chance?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.