Opinion about class rank/gunners

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blue Tooth

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's a question about something that we should be dealing with next year. I know some schools (UConn) are P/F the entire time and hence you have no class rank. Some consider this a problem when it comes to applying to specialty (although not at UConn). Others traditionally have ranked the students from D1 year. The problem the the latter is that it can severely increase intraclass competition and lead to the development of certain individuals into gunners, thereby necessitating their execution by their classmates before graduation. I've recently heard of some schools, including here at Michigan, that rank students, but hide the ranks for the first 2 years to decrease competitiveness but still have that as something to use when applying to specialty. The students I talked to here at Michigan really like the new system (this years D1s are the first to have it) because of problems the old system created in previous classes. What do you guys all think about this? What kind of system you'd prefer, reasons why, etc. Also, if you know how some schools in particular do it, put that up too since it's an important factor in deciding where to go. Laters

Members don't see this ad.

We're on a P/NP system at UCLA. This doesn't mean you can only get a P or NP. We can get NP, MP (marginal pass), P, or EP (exceptional pass). I've only been here a quarter, but all but 1 of my didactic classes gave EP to the top 5-10% of the class. So to get an EP, it's a competitive kind of thing. I don't feel that our class is cut throat at all though. We help each other out. I think part of it is that it seems like what matters most when applying for specialty programs is score on boards part I and research experience, not grades (from what I heard from upperclassmen at my school).

I think our associate dean told us that the top 10 students get ranked (presumably based on number of EPs), but none of the others get ranked. I can't remember when people get ranked. Probably end of 3rd year or something.

Overall, i think P/NP system is nice. People who aren't aiming for an EP can try to just pass the class, instead of having to worry over whether they're going to pass with a C+, etc. I'm pretty sure the stress level is higher if you're on an ABCD kind of system. Dental school is stressful enough as it is.

The incredible stress at ABCDF grading schools is ridiculous! I would love to be on the P,NP,MP etc... Simply makes more sense and it allows the student to be concerned about learning the info, not figuring out what he needs for a B or A.

TEKI

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys and gals When I was in school (1984-1989 Yes I know I'm old and not pre-dent any more) at Detoit we had an ABC or do the course over again no plus or minus. These letter grades were helpful to "predict" how boards would go. Face it if you get into dental school you're a bit of a gunner (keener for our Canadian friends) anyway. I found that since dentistry was what I wanted to do for my carrer the A's and B's came fairly easily in most courses,not to say that there were not any tough courses. Remember that most schools are not trying to get rid of you (unlike organic chem. in undergrad) The cooperation point made by the previous post is very true. Remember the person who graduates last is called what?...DOCTOR

something got lost in that last post will have to fix it later my next patient is here!