Opinions on EAP programs and LECOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ejsca

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just finished my sophomore year of undergraduate, and am starting to look into medical schools that I would be interested in applying to. I just found out that my college, in the last 3 months, started a early acceptance program with LECOM. I am very on the fence about this program. I feel that in a world where things are often made so difficult, why not take the advantages you can get when you can? I feel confident in my candidacy (3.9 GPA, consistent volunteer work at hospitals and other organizations, experience in research labs, extracurriculars, etc), but I know that there are many many good candidates.

I'm wondering if anyone has any insight on the LECOM program. I've been very put off by the plethora of negative postings about it, but I have noticed that many of the postings are older- 2009-2014, and I want to know if there has been any change. Anyone in the program who likes the program or dislikes the program?

Any insight as to whether it would be better to to apply for the EAP, or take my chances applying the regular way? I hate for this to be a "what are my chances" kind of question, but just trying to decide whether to play it safe with the LECOM program (if in fact its a good program), or to take the risk of applying elsewhere.

I am scheduled to take the MCAT this August, and plan to apply next June, so I am NOT taking a year off in between undergraduate and medical school, as many do. Not sure if thats relevant but putting it out there.

Members don't see this ad.

If you can score well on the MCAT you should apply MD. Don't commit yourself to LECOM so early.

Granted with a good MCAT you should be fine but remember if a gap year is needed then so be it, don't rush this and submit a bad app. With a GPA like that you should be good but don't rush the MCAT and destroy your chances just remember as all of the adcoms say here this is a marathon not a sprint. You have the potential to be a STRONG candidate with a top MCAT score so don't commit until you get your score. Study hard and come back on SDN in 3 months!

Good Luck