Opinions on retaking classes.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eddie269

Still in shock...
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, i know some people made a post similar to this but here I go with my case My biggest fear for applying to pharm school in 2005 is my GPA.

I am going to graduate from UC Davis this spring and will attend a JC for a full year starting this Fall to finish some science pre-req's. However, I received C's and C+'s in the following classes a year ago at UC Davis (which is a quarterly system btw):

-Chem 2A (got a C)
-Chem 2B (got a C)
-Bio 1A (got a C+)
-Bio 1B (got a C+)

I got B's in Chem 2C and Bio 1C so I am fine with those. I'm also doing pretty well in o-chem too. Anyways, what is everyone's opinion on retaking the chemistry and Bio classes I got C's in at a JC this Fall. Basically, does the adcomm even care if I retake those classes or will it be too little too late? I know Pharmcas will average out the 2 grades in the GPA if I do retake them, but when schools look at the transcripts, they will see hopefully new A's "replacing" those ugly C's.

So in everyones opinion, should I just retake chem. I and Bio I at the JC or should I just let it go?

FYI, all those pre-req's I got C's in happened early in my "science career". I got those early on and recently, I haven't received anything lower than a B-. I guess I am showing constant improvement (which I hear is good). So my idea is to end my science classes with all A's and a few B's.

Also on a side note, if I were to retake gen. chem I at a JC (semester sys.) how will it blend in with my gen chem classes from UCD (quarter system). basically at a JC, it's Chem I and Chem II while at UCD it's chem 2A, 2B, 2C.

OK, sorry for the long post. Thanks for reading. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Eddie, for some of my friends who didn't do well in 2 quarters of chem/ ochem. They either retook the courses at UCI or they completed two semesters of chem at a JC. Lets say if it was only the third quarter of chemistry to retake, then you would take the 2nd semester of chem at a JC. I know how the UC system works, because I do attend a UCI. For me, I retook a few couses at UCI just to be safe.

Pharmacas will average all of your grades. Some schools look at the Pharmcas GPA lik(Western). Other schools prefer look at your transcripts GPA (USC & UOP). When you fill out suppl. apps, you will enter your grade for each required course. If you have retaken the course, you enter the course with the best grade. For all the Pharmacy Schools in California, they have a list of approved courses for each college in California. USC and UOP has the list on the website. UCSF has the list on www.assist.org. Please look at the list and you can determine what to do from there. If not, just call the school and ask advice from admissions.

so in your opinion, I should retake a full yr of gen chem? What if I only have time to take chem I at the JC? I will technically have an A (assuming I get an A) in the first half of chem, but I'll have a combo of a B and C in the "2nd half" of chem. Do you follow me? It's equivalent of taking chem I at a JC, and when you transfer to a UC, they will start you off at chem 2B. It overlaps. But common sense tells me I should at least retake Chem I at a JC just to replace one of those C's huh?

I am attending JC to finish up physics I and II, microbio, physiology and anatomy. I have a yr to do those courses so I thought since I have no much free time each semester, I might as well retake a few classes I got C's in. My biggest fear is at the time I will send in my transcripts, I will still be in the process of retaking those courses. So when the adcom looks at my application, they won't see any improvement. Is there any way I can mention me retaking classes in my app.?

ahhh, so confusing! shows u kids out there. DON'T TAKE THE "EASY" science course lightly! ACE them the first time around! :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
Eddie, if you post B+, A-, A in Ochem, I wouldn't worry about retaking Gen Chem classes you took a few years ago. Instead of studying Gen chem again for a year, study it for a couple of days and ace the chem section of the PCAT. Just MHO. Microbus out

Getting an A in o-chem doesn't seem that possible to me. I got a B in o-chem118a (1st of 3 classes). No matter how hard I study, it seems impossible to get an A in that course. so retaking gen. chem. seems like a realistic plan for me this fall at the JC. I mean, Physics I, Microbio, and Gen Chem I. seems like an easy load. why not. :)

Are you allowed to replace a grade from a 4-year institution with the same class from a JC?

When I was getting my AA at a community college, I was told that I couldn't replace any of my 4-year grades that I earned at a state school. Maybe it's just something they do in Florida, but you should check on it first just in case that is also true in California.

On the same note as Dana, all the CCs or 4 years around me will not allow you to retake a course you have received a C or better in.

Stock answer: check with the COP where you want to apply. I have found with UF that their advisors are willing to answer those types of questions for me.

I spoke with a woman at the University of Colorado yesterday on how I could improve my application for next year. She told me basically, it was the GPA that they first look at (as it is at most schools), and they begin to cut people off using that. Since I'm out-of-state, their cut-off was 3.5. My GPA is a 2.8, because like you, my college career didn't begin very well.

Long story short, I took two years off after those first three semesters, and every since I've been back, I'd done exceptionally well. I think if they just looked at what I have done since returning (and practically retaking everything over), then I would have had no problems getting in. But, they lump those first semesters in with everything, and here I am.

So I told her that I understood, but that my concern was that no matter how well I do now, I can't possibly bring my GPA up to a 3.5 (unless I did everything all over again...again. It's taken me almost two years to bring it to a 2.8 from a 2.0 cumulative). Her only suggestion to me was to retake sciences and maths, if that was where I was low.

FutureRxGal: so basically you were allowed to retake the science and math courses and have those grades averaged out with the first ones right? So I am assuming you got all C's or so your first time around, but recently, you got A's and B's. So when you avg. them out, you get a 2.8 gpa?

I mean, when I retake chem I, I really want an A so when you avg that A out with the C, I get around a B. Its just those C's are killing me.

I will make a few calls to NVCP and Midwestern-AZ and IL to check.

When I started back to school, there was no other option BUT to retake the classes from the first semesters, especially if I want to get into pharmacy school.

There are two classes that I would like to retake, but I don't have time, because I'm trying to have my BS by May 2005, and I need other classes for that. If for some ridiculous reason I don't get in next year either, then I guess I'll retake them.... That's really too far for me to decide at this point, and it may not even be necessary.

NVCP has a grade forgiveness policy you might want to look into. Microbus out

just out of curiosity, we can retake classes if we got a C in them? i thought we could only retake classes if we either got a D or failed.

I got in contact with NVCP and they told me we can retake any class and they will avg out the two grades. AT UCD, you can retake any class you want and they will also avg out the grades but you will get no units towards graduation. UNLESS it's a D or lower and then the grade will be replaced.