Opinions on the GRE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psycholytic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody

I would like to know what all of you think about the actual value of the GRE.
Did anyone , like me, get miserable scores but loves psychology , is pretty good at Math and English, and yet still did poorly?
What does it tell admissions committees about ones ability?

Is it really just a screening measure to sort so many applications out?

I was soooooooo mad after taking that test. I just could not understand how I had to pay 130 Dollars , go through all the prep stress, including a class I took, to end up having to answer the most rediculous word games, I have ever seen. This is what determines getting in a psych program? Oh my God !!!

I am from Germany, so I am also second language speaker, but honestly, I think it would not make much difference.

Members don't see this ad.

psycholytic said:
Hi everybody

I would like to know what all of you think about the actual value of the GRE.
Did anyone , like me, get miserable scores but loves psychology , is pretty good at Math and English, and yet still did poorly?
What does it tell admissions committees about ones ability?

Is it really just a screening measure to sort so many applications out?

I was soooooooo mad after taking that test. I just could not understand how I had to pay 130 Dollars , go through all the prep stress, including a class I took, to end up having to answer the most rediculous word games, I have ever seen. This is what determines getting in a psych program? Oh my God !!!

I am from Germany, so I am also second language speaker, but honestly, I think it would not make much difference.

Yes, GRE scores are typically used to weed out the first round of applicants. After that, they are not really factored into the the application.

Check the average scores of the schools you applied to- this will give you a good indictator of whether or not your scores are within range.

Another thing of interest, I have a friend from abroad who did pretty miserably on the Verbal section of the GRE. I can tell you she is at a very well respected clinical program now, and is working with a top notch researcher. The admissions committee definitely takes the "english as a second language" factor into consideration.

Good luck!

clinpsychgirl said:
Yes, GRE scores are typically used to weed out the first round of applicants. After that, they are not really factored into the the application.

Check the average scores of the schools you applied to- this will give you a good indictator of whether or not your scores are within range.

Another thing of interest, I have a friend from abroad who did pretty miserably on the Verbal section of the GRE. I can tell you she is at a very well respected clinical program now, and is working with a top notch researcher. The admissions committee definitely takes the "english as a second language" factor into consideration.

Good luck!
i did horrible on the verbal and good on the math. personally i think the gre is just a money machine for colleges to weed people out, that's just my opinion.

I totally agree with you and it makes me sick to my stomach.

I hate these cover-ups in the name of education. :eek: