Opinions on university associated pre-med associations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joy_Luck

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My university has only been open for a few years, and does not have an established "pre-med" program or advisors at this point in time. It has been suggested by a former professor that I should take on the task of starting a pre-med club. Starting clubs at my school is the primary way that the students here supplement their own college experience with things that are usually found at other schools (ie, a baseball or basketball club in lieu of the missing varsity sports here).

My question is this: What would you want a pre-med club to consist of? I was thinking along the lines of providing guidance to other aspiring pre-meds, maybe raising money to have med-school advisors visit, or raising money to visit medical centers at other schools...We don't have a pre-med committee like I've read about in other posts (I don't even know what a committee like that would do?) but would it be a good idea to maybe try and set the foundations of something that would perform similar tasks with this club? Any opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated! I hope to get the paperwork and red tape for the club completed by the end of the semester.

------------------
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
~Eleanor Roosevelt

Members don't see this ad.

Course Notes and a Test Bank have always been good features for Pre-Professional Student Associations. Develop associations with local physicians to provide shadowing opportunities for the students.

Study "parties" are good group activities, as well as non-study parties. Getting to know your cohorts and eliminating some of the cut-throat attitudes that go on in undergrad might be a good focus.

With a place to hang your hat and some dedicated volunteers, running the organization can be done on a shoestring.

[This message has been edited by AZMom (edited 10-05-2000).]