Opinions on which to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted999444

I am a rising sophomore and this summer I am taking a human anatomy course which I absolutely am loving. My college has an internship opportunity to work in the attached med school's cadaver lab that I am interested in. I would have to interview to be able to get this position.
On the other hand, I do need to get clinical hours. I have around 70 from volunteering in the hospital right now (50 from senior year of high school, 20 from freshman year of college) but there has been no talk about when volunteers will be allowed back in the hospital. On top of that, many places in my town are not hiring for clinical work at the moment.
With all this, I'm debating if I should risk it and not apply for the anatomy internship and hopefully try to find a clinical job, or to play it safe and do the internship in something I'm very interested in.
Helpful and nice opinions would be very much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
I am a rising sophomore and this summer I am taking a human anatomy course which I absolutely am loving. My college has an internship opportunity (paid) to work in the attached med school's cadaver lab that I am interested in. I would have to interview to be able to get this position.
On the other hand, I do need to get clinical hours. I have around 70 from volunteering in the hospital right now (50 from senior year of high school, 20 from freshman year of college) but there has been no talk about when volunteers will be allowed back in the hospital. On top of that, many places in my town are not hiring for clinical work at the moment.
With all this, I'm debating if I should risk it and not apply for the anatomy internship and hopefully try to find a clinical job, or to play it safe and do the internship in something I'm very interested in.
Helpful and nice opinions would be very much appreciated.
I'm no expert, but am under the impression that clinical experience involves experience with live human beings, not cadavers. Definitely go for the paid internship if it's something you want to do, but, subject to correction by an adcom, I'm pretty sure it won't count as a clinical experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Apply to both, see what shakes out. If you're offered both opportunities, I would recommend clinical experience. You can never have enough for med school admissions these days, and you will have plenty of anatomy time in med school and beyond if you want it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to deviate a bit from the current recommendations:

If it's something you're really interested in, go for it. Being able to passionately talk about an interesting and potentially unique experience beats doing something just to check a box. Who knows, if you like this enough it may significantly impact your future career and make you consider something like pathology or an MD/PhD with a focus on physiology.

You're also a sophomore, which means you have plenty of time to get additional clinical experience in addition to this opportunity in the future.

Reactions: 5 users
I think you have time for both before you apply. If you need the money definitely go for that option. Also, I wouldn’t count your high school volunteering. Make sure to get enough before applying.

I think you have time for both before you apply. If you need the money definitely go for that option. Also, I wouldn’t count your high school volunteering. Make sure to get enough before applying.
I continued volunteering at the same hospital after I graduated high school and went to college and I heard it’s ok to count it if you continued into college. Not sure how true this is, but thank you for the input!

My hat is in the ring for the anatomy internship. It is unique and will help you stand out. You still have plenty of time to increase your clinical exposure. And while clinical exposure will show your dedication to serving patients, the anatomy internship will show your ability to succeed as a medical student.

We also don’t know how long COVID will impact you’re ability to volunteer, so I would personally want something else lined up in the event that you aren’t able to get back into the clinic for a while.

Reactions: 2 users
Go to the cadaver lab. You are interested in anatomy, so pursue that. You have plenty of time to get in your shadowing and volunteering hours later.

Status
Not open for further replies.