Opposite Gender Student Host

Started by sunshine02
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've personally never seen a female doc need a male chap in my 3+ years volunteering. Not to say it doesn't happen, but there's definitely less of it.

But guy made the same comment I was going to and I got a chuckle.

I've chaperoned female docs for prostate checks/examining the scrotum/penis.

It's just good practice in situations such as these.
 
OP don’t listen to these haterz.

The real question is, why wouldn’t you want to have a male host?

Picture this...

You show up to his apartment. There he is... a 6’2 ex-european fashion model who gave up fame and fortune to study medicine. He has dark hair, blue eyes, rock hard abs, and a perfect a$$. He invites you in and offers you his king size bed, a perfect gentleman. He then cooks you a dinner of grilled salmon and white wine while you play with his rescue puppy, max. After dinner you sit by the fireplace and he plays you a preview of the new song he just wrote for the med school band, the one he’s playing at a charity concert to raise money for pediatric cancer research. You stare into his deep blue eyes and It’s all too much. "I won’t let you sleep on the couch! ...you say. He protests, not wanting to impose himself on you. But, its too late. Sparks fly and you move in for the kiss. Its better than you could’ve ever imagined. You have the most amazing sex in your life and orgasm at least 5 times. The next morning you crush the interview and are awarded full ride scholarship to Harvard Medical School. The end.

I know what you’re thinking...that these things don’t happen in real life.

Well, I’m here to tell you otherwise.

He’s out there, waiting for you right now.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If I went to a doctor or NP who was uncomfortable seeing me in an exam room alone, I would immediately transfer my care elsewhere.

My medical group requires chaperons for all rectal or genital exams, and for female breast exams. This is to protect both patients and doctors. In other settings, there have been incidents and accusations in the past. Some seem to have been true, some are not. Chaperons will prevent both types of accusations. In some instances, female patients will request that no chaperon be present for a breast exam, for example. I can appreciate their preference, but they are told that it's a rule, to prevent misunderstandings. I know of a case where an older male patient accused a male doctor of inappropriate touching after undergoing a routine prostate exam. A chaperon would have prevented that complaint, or at least made defending against it easier.

No chaperon is required for hosting students overnight, however, regardless of gender.😉
 
I hosted students and coordinated student hosting throughout med school. It would not have bothered me at all if someone said "I'm very sorry, I accidentally signed up for a student host of the opposite gender and would prefer to stay with a same-gender host. I greatly appreciate Mr. X's willingness to host and am so sorry to make the request, but is it possible to ask for a different host?" Some people feel much more comfortable staying with people of X gender or Y religion or with Z hobbies....which is why our intake form asked about those preferences. And there is *nothing* wrong with that.

If it bothers you that much, the simplest thing to do is say "I'm sorry, some of my travel plans have changed. I won't be needing a student host" and just stay in a hotel. Maybe ask if your parents could chip in to a cheap hotel cost, since they are part of the situation, too.
 
As an ADULT, sure i still sometimes look to my parents for advice on certain things, but i don't make all my decisions based on what they think. It's MY LIFE, not their's, there is a time to "cut the cord" because if you cannot make decisions without mommy and daddy's approval, life is gonna be hard.