Should I Report My True Gender Identity??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gr00vyMed

Reaction score
Hi! I’ve been looking through MSAR and noticing that many of the top schools have 0 people in their class that don’t identify as male or female. I don’t identify with the gender I was assigned at birth, and I’m weirded out by the lack of representation at the schools I want to get into. Is it safe to report my true gender identity, or should I just say I’m cisgender? I’m worried that traditional people on adcoms have an unconscious bias against people who aren’t cisgender…are they even allowed to see the gender I report??

Also so sorry but I think I posted this in the wrong forum—I’m new to SDN!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll let an adcom speak to this more thoroughly, but yeah, it is possible that medical school committee members reviewing your file might be biased either consciously or unconsciously. However, that is such a small part of your application - you have experiences, personal statements, test scores, etc., that probably would be more influential. I think you should report what you identify most as, as that is what question is asking.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi! I’ve been looking through MSAR and noticing that many of the top schools have 0 people in their class that don’t identify as male or female. I don’t identify with the gender I was assigned at birth, and I’m weirded out by the lack of representation at the schools I want to get into. Is it safe to report my true gender identity, or should I just say I’m cisgender? I’m worried that traditional people on adcoms have an unconscious bias against people who aren’t cisgender…are they even allowed to see the gender I report??

Also so sorry but I think I posted this in the wrong forum—I’m new to SDN!
I think it is up to you when - or whether - to disclose or reveal personal details like this.
This is the first year that MSAR has reported this statistic in their charts.

The AMCAS guide is somewhat ambiguous in its explanation of the gender and gender identity questions.
Stating your gender is a required question, but stating your gender identity and pronouns are optional.
Gender Identity and Pronouns
Enter your gender, gender identity, and preferred pronouns in this section. Schools use data on gender to
understand the overall demographics of their student body and for reporting purposes required under federal law.

You should answer the gender question based on the gender with which you identify, which
may or may not be the sex you were assigned at birth.
Gender Identity is a separate, optional question intended to draw out additional layers of student body diversity, including diverse perspectives from applicants who have experienced major life events or transitions related to their gender identity.

Members don't see this ad :)
Biases can certainly play a role for some reviewers; however, keep in mind that there aren't that many transgender and non-binary applicants to begin with. Per AMCAS, during the 2023-2024 cycle, there were just 193 applicants (out of 52,577) who identified as 'another gender identity' (other than male/female). When you narrow this further by those who have GPA/MCATs/extracurricular experiences needed to be competitive at these 'top schools', the statistic you listed isn't too surprising. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 3 users
If any school is biased against you because of your true identity, do you think you would be happy there? Ay some schools (UVM Larner is one) being LGBTQ+ makes you a URM, and that’s a good thing!

Reactions: 4 users
I put my gender identity front and center as a trans man and got into a LGBTQIA+ friendly school with a fairly mid app. Do what makes you comfortable.

Reactions: 3 users
As pointed previously, MSAR isn't going to help identify gender non-conforming students that will. Check with the MSPA chapters.

Identifying is up to you. Networking will help you. The issue is how strong the student support system is. Check our LGBTQ forum. We need people to update the student insurance table.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes. Ultimately, your decision. It's what you're comfortable with. But in my mind, I was experienced discrimination throughout my entire life for being queer. Applying to medical school was the one time I benefited explicitly from being queer. I didn't feel comfortable disclosing earlier in my life. Why not finally take your advantage?