OPT after DDS/DMD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muscleman7911

Looking out
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there were a few discussions about getting an OPT status after DDS/DMD after completing one year OPT after a Masters Program.

After researching online for quiet some time, still there are varying confusion regarding the same.

I was wondering by now there must have been few who would have cleared DDS?DMD by now and reached this state.. or any of your friends.

would anyone.. ans or try to ans the question about
If an OPT status be achieved after DDS with prior OPT status after ur Masters.

NOTE:
few schools out right say we can get a second OPT status when inquired but there are others which said no.
there was one particular school which said you can do One year of OPT in any direction bachelors/masters/PHDorDoctoral but the unclear part is were does DDS fall under.. out of the three categories.

(There was a recent rumor of extending OPT to 2 year to avoid H1 rush.)

Members don't see this ad.

You are eligible for OPT after completing a degree as far as it is in different field or a higher degree in same field. As of now OPT is for one yr

I would like to know where you got this info from, coz the last time i checked.. uscis, they state that one year of \opt at every level no matter what subject, they also state if u just apply for opt u r utilizing from the day u state u want to start.

thank you for your response fella.

I would like to know where you got this info from, coz the last time i checked.. uscis, they state that one year of \opt at every level no matter what subject, they also state if u just apply for opt u r utilizing from the day u state u want to start.

thank you for your response fella.

uscis does not clarify clearly. As it is one will either do a higher degree in the same field or the same degree in a different field. OPT is meant for experience in your field of education. I guess there won't be a clear answer to that but maybe a lawyer will know better. DSO's at universities international offices & Dentists, whom I spoke to tell me that a F1 student will be eligible for an OPT if you complete a degree irrespective of whether you have had an approval for an OPT before for a different degree or course. Hope this helps