Opt School Chances of Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted878916

Hey guys, so I'm a little concerned with my chances of getting into an optometry school (specifically MCPHS). I'm a junior and I am going to graduate Fall 2019 with hopefully a 3.0 or 2.9. I'm a neuroscience major with a minor in Education at a good/competitive state university (hence my sad GPA). I did very well in HS with a 4.0, lots of extra curricular, recommendation, SATs etc. I graduated 3rd amongst about 300 students from a very diverse school. That helped me get into a good Ivy league, but I opted for a cheaper state university. Recently I figured that I'd take most of my pre-reqs for optometry school at community colleges over summer so at least that will be a much higher GPA. (Bio- A+/B+, Chem- B/B-, Orgo- C+,N/A, Phys- N/A, Calc- A-, Psyc stats and Regular stats- B+). The C+ B, and B- unfortunately were taken at my college. I'll have okay recommendation letters, a couple of extra curriculars here and there.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, the difficulty of a school is never taken into consideration. A 3.0 at Harvard will be valued the same as a 3.0 at any other school. Your high school experience will not matter at all.

Do some more extracurriculars, prove you really want to be an optometrist, and try your best on the OAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, so I'm a little concerned with my chances of getting into an optometry school (specifically MCPHS). I'm a junior and I am going to graduate Fall 2019 with hopefully a 3.0 or 2.9. I'm a neuroscience major with a minor in Education at a good/competitive state university (hence my sad GPA). I did very well in HS with a 4.0, lots of extra curricular, recommendation, SATs etc. I graduated 3rd amongst about 300 students from a very diverse school. That helped me get into a good Ivy league, but I opted for a cheaper state university. Recently I figured that I'd take most of my pre-reqs for optometry school at community colleges over summer so at least that will be a much higher GPA. (Bio- A+/B+, Chem- B/B-, Orgo- C+,N/A, Phys- N/A, Calc- A-, Psyc stats and Regular stats- B+). The C+ B, and B- unfortunately were taken at my college. I aim to do a little above than avg on the OATs (I think I'm better at standardized exams if it's anything like the SATs lol). I'll have okay recommendation letters, a couple of extra curriculars here and there. I know MCPHS is one of the easier colleges to get into, but from experience I think I can do better at a grad program like that IF I manage to get in. Will my high school rep increase my chances at all? My college is tough and full of wannabe Ivy league rejects. I've challenged myself like never before amongst these students but I've only fell sub-par to them. My school is amongst the tops in my state, but unfortunately I don't think programs outside of NY are aware of how challenging it is. I don't think it's fair that programs would view me at my college as below average when I don't think I am at all. That's why I plan on taking Orgo 2 and both Physics at CC where right now I can guarantee above a B+. So those pre-reqs should avg to 3.25 GPA. At least then they can see I do well in other settings. What do you guys think? Sorry for this rant btw but I'm so terrified of not getting into anything :( College has made me lose faith in myself and I'm struggling to find motivation
I know exactly how you feel being a low gpa applicant myself. Try to do your best on the OAT. Even though it can't erase your GPA, I've heard that a high OAT can help your app if your GPA is low. Don't lose hope and if you get rejected, get the feedback you need to improve your chances for the next cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was kind of in the same situation as you. Graduated from a top US public university with a GPA around yours. I was able to do very well on the OAT, and I have four interviews coming up to more competitive optometry schools and haven't gotten rejected from a school yet. Basically just do well on the OAT and you will have a chance!

I would argue that some schools do consider where you went for your undergraduate degree. The schools I applied to definitely said that GPAs were not equal - they looked carefully at grades from notoriously competitive/selective schools. You should ask MCPHS specifically to be sure on that front.

But overall I agree with everyone else - show your passion, do well on the OAT, and you should be fine.

I would argue that some schools do consider where you went for your undergraduate degree. The schools I applied to definitely said that GPAs were not equal - they looked carefully at grades from notoriously competitive/selective schools. You should ask MCPHS specifically to be sure on that front.

But overall I agree with everyone else - show your passion, do well on the OAT, and you should be fine.
Would you know some schools off the top of your head that would consider where you went for undergrad?

Would you know some schools off the top of your head that would consider where you went for undergrad?
I only applied to the schools in California, so those definitely do! SCCO/Ketchum, UCBSO, WUCO

Try not to compare yourself too much to the averages. I know how you feel as I was slightly below the average for some schools but I got into every school I applied to. My friend who had a 3.0 and 330 on OAT got into Western and Pacific. My other good friend had a 3.4 and a 330 on the OAT is a 2nd year at Berkeley (which is below their stats but hey she made it). Try your best to do well on the OAT and apply early!

Hey guys, so I'm a little concerned with my chances of getting into an optometry school (specifically MCPHS). I'm a junior and I am going to graduate Fall 2019 with hopefully a 3.0 or 2.9. I'm a neuroscience major with a minor in Education at a good/competitive state university (hence my sad GPA). I did very well in HS with a 4.0, lots of extra curricular, recommendation, SATs etc. I graduated 3rd amongst about 300 students from a very diverse school. That helped me get into a good Ivy league, but I opted for a cheaper state university. Recently I figured that I'd take most of my pre-reqs for optometry school at community colleges over summer so at least that will be a much higher GPA. (Bio- A+/B+, Chem- B/B-, Orgo- C+,N/A, Phys- N/A, Calc- A-, Psyc stats and Regular stats- B+). The C+ B, and B- unfortunately were taken at my college. I aim to do a little above than avg on the OATs (I think I'm better at standardized exams if it's anything like the SATs lol). I'll have okay recommendation letters, a couple of extra curriculars here and there. I know MCPHS is one of the easier colleges to get into, but from experience I think I can do better at a grad program like that IF I manage to get in. Will my high school rep increase my chances at all? My college is tough and full of wannabe Ivy league rejects. I've challenged myself like never before amongst these students but I've only fell sub-par to them. My school is amongst the tops in my state, but unfortunately I don't think programs outside of NY are aware of how challenging it is. I don't think it's fair that programs would view me at my college as below average when I don't think I am at all. That's why I plan on taking Orgo 2 and both Physics at CC where right now I can guarantee above a B+. So those pre-reqs should avg to 3.25 GPA. At least then they can see I do well in other settings. What do you guys think? Sorry for this rant btw but I'm so terrified of not getting into anything :( College has made me lose faith in myself and I'm struggling to find motivation
Do well on the OAT everyone takes the same test, it's the "great equalizer". If you're college is as good as you said then you're OAT should reflect that despite you're GPA...

Do well on the OAT everyone takes the same test, it's the "great equalizer". If you're college is as good as you said then you're OAT should reflect that despite you're GPA...
I didn't learn a thing at my college. I managed to learn much more at a CC actually