Optic Nerve Head Drusen & Corneal Refractive Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaximusD

Anatomically Incorrect
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
LASIK vs. PRK?

I am looking to have CRS done within the next 6 months, and I would obviously prefer LASIK as the recovery time is shorter and optimal visual acuity is often obtained within a shorter tiemframe. However, I have optic nerve head drusen without visual field decrement and have been told that it would make PRK a safer procedure due to the application of a cup during the creation of the LASIK corneal flap.

Just looking for your thoughts. I obviously am going to be consulting an ophthalmologist for my actual medical management so this is just more to discuss cases you guys have done, seen, or reviewed in case literature -- for my general information and to set my expectations.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Just for information here, I see your signature there and I believe the Air Force will perform refractive surgery for you for free. Yes PRK takes 5 days of healing time and patients are going to have some pain with it but you'll never have any flap complications which is another benefit. Can't comment on your specific case, but the lasik suction ring does increase the intraocular pressure intraoperatively according to a some animal model studies. All that to say that if your ophthalmologist recommends you not undergo LASIK, then PRK is still a good surgery.

Members don't see this ad :)
This site isn't designed for medical advice and choosing between PRK and LASIK is not a straightforward decision. Speak to your ophthalmologist. A number of well designed studies have compared outcomes of the two surgeries. I would search pubmed

Reactions: 1 user
@RestoreSight I have been posting here for 7 years and am familiar with the rules of SDN.

I am asking for pros and cons of two different treatment options given a known medical condition. I am not saying, "My name is MaximusD... I am looking for a physician to help me in consultation... please help me cure my myopia today..."

And FYI, I did find an article but it won't let me read it on my journal search in the AF KX. Thanks for being an obstructionist.