Opting out of Obamacare/Medicare?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

4ophtho

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been paying attention to news articles about doctors reacting to new contracts under the ACA and choosing to opt out because of significant decline in reimbursements. (See Wall Street Journal article
Insurers Cut Doctors' Fees in New Health-Care Plans). As a current ophthalmology resident, I am concerned about what awaits when I enter into practice. I would greatly appreciate the perspective of practicing ophthalmologists and what they have experienced and expect with the new changes in healthcare.

Members don't see this ad.

Keep voting Democrat and these d-bags will mandate that you to give charity to the poor. That is basically what it is. Higher taxes --> more hand outs to poor people --> higher reproductive rates --> more handouts to bigger families --> higher reproductive rates --> more democrat voters --> higher taxes --> more handouts to poor/bigger families --> higher reproductive rates --> ad infinitum.

This downward spiral basically sums up the U.S. politics for the upcoming decades. Mark my words if you wish.

Keep voting Democrat and these d-bags will mandate that you to give charity to the poor. That is basically what it is. Higher taxes --> more hand outs to poor people --> higher reproductive rates --> more handouts to bigger families --> higher reproductive rates --> more democrat voters --> higher taxes --> more handouts to poor/bigger families --> higher reproductive rates --> ad infinitum.

This downward spiral basically sums up the U.S. politics for the upcoming decades. Mark my words if you wish.

Are you seriously a doctor? Terrible.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, reimbursements continue to get cut every year and more regulations increase the cost to run a practice. This was happening even separate from the ACA. I find it interesting that I haven't seen the cost of medications being cut in the same way.

This has led to groups to try to decrease spending to prevent themselves from going into the red by not spending money to buy new, more advanced equipment, not hire new doctors or staff, trying to see even more patients in less time etc..

I mean, reimbursements continue to get cut every year and more regulations increase the cost to run a practice. This was happening even separate from the ACA. I find it interesting that I haven't seen the cost of medications being cut in the same way.

This has led to groups to try to decrease spending to prevent themselves from going into the red by not spending money to buy new, more advanced equipment, not hire new doctors or staff, trying to see even more patients in less time etc..

Dusn,
What can a comprehensive ophtho. expect to earn in practice? I know it depends on location, but....ballpark. Also, what are the typical buy-in costs for a comp. ophtho? Is that a reasonable modern-day expectation or should younger ophthos expect to work for a healthcare org. like kaiser, etc..?

thanx
-sc

Not entirely answering your question but I know CMS cuts in ophthalmology are nowhere near what they are in other subspecialties. Doesn't feel like there is a crisis in optho by any means.

Second this!

You as well. That's why the world needs realists and real heroes like Edward Snowden to tell it how it is. Otherwise you would have never named yourself NSAspy most likely.

Anyways, these are just my opinions on the matter and everyone is entitled to discourse.

Last edited: