Options after MHC degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pacman8794

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone knew of any alternative options after receiving an mental health counseling (MHC) degree, assuming one cannot find work a while after graduating. For example, is there something that can be done with the degree not related to counseling such as working for an insurance company? I just want to know what options are available. Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any alternative options after receiving an mental health counseling (MHC) degree, assuming one cannot find work a while after graduating. For example, is there something that can be done with the degree not related to counseling such as working for an insurance company? I just want to know what options are available. Thanks everyone!

That really depends. Each person is different. Do you have a background (or interest) in a particular area of counseling? There are plenty of part-time, freelance, and otherwise self-employment options if you're unable to find full-time work. It just depends on how you are trained. For example, there are research jobs, teaching jobs, gigs in substance abuse, entrepreneurial opportunities in complementary/alternative health. Some of these things take additional training (often not terribly lengthy), others don't.

That really depends. Each person is different. Do you have a background (or interest) in a particular area of counseling? There are plenty of part-time, freelance, and otherwise self-employment options if you're unable to find full-time work. It just depends on how you are trained. For example, there are research jobs, teaching jobs, gigs in substance abuse, entrepreneurial opportunities in complementary/alternative health. Some of these things take additional training (often not terribly lengthy), others don't.

I'm not really too picky w/ certain areas of counseling. I'd rather look for something full time because health insurance and what not is very important.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not really too picky w/ certain areas of counseling. I'd rather look for something full time because health insurance and what not is very important.

Well, yes, but if there is nothing generalist available, you'll have to do something to make yourself stand out. If you don't care what you do, how will you make an employer or a market interested in what you have to offer?

Well, yes, but if there is nothing generalist available, you'll have to do something to make yourself stand out. If you don't care what you do, how will you make an employer or a market interested in what you have to offer?

That's true. However, to do something within a particular area usually requires training or job experience which leads me back to my first dilemma. Is there anything that can be done not related to counseling? Surely there has to be something I can do w/ the degree besides counseling. I know teaching is an option, but it's not very feasible for a master's level clinician.

I'm kind of curious as to your situation concerning your topic. Did you finish getting the MHC degree? I'm curious if you don't mind me asking, because I want to pursue a degree in MHC and hearing someone not able to find a job after getting the degree is not what I want to hear. :confused:

That's true. However, to do something within a particular area usually requires training or job experience which leads me back to my first dilemma. Is there anything that can be done not related to counseling? Surely there has to be something I can do w/ the degree besides counseling. I know teaching is an option, but it's not very feasible for a master's level clinician.

Again, that depends on what experience or training you already have, or are willing to get. If you don't want to teach or do research, have no experience in counseling and are not willing to receive extra experience or training to specialize, AND you can't find a 'counseling' job, then you're basically like any other entry level generalist worker out there.

I guess I don't understand what you're asking. What is your previous work experience?? You can work in a field where you have previous experience--waiting tables, administrative work, whatever.

A degree does not exempt one from getting experience or any additional training.

I'm kind of curious as to your situation concerning your topic. Did you finish getting the MHC degree? I'm curious if you don't mind me asking, because I want to pursue a degree in MHC and hearing someone not able to find a job after getting the degree is not what I want to hear. :confused:

Yes, I finished getting the degree and will soon receive my LAC license. I've been looking for a job for a few months now and haven't been able to make much progress. I'm just trying to find alternative options in case I still can't find a job after some more time passes. Also, I'm trying to figure out what options I have when I get burned out some day. If you have any other questions, let me know.

I just found out that I have an interview for the MHC program at Brooklyn College. Does anyone know what the interview process is going to be like? What kind of questions are going to be asked !! Im so nervous lol.

I was talked out of getting an MHC degree by my aunt-in-law, a social worker who has friends with counseling degrees who now feel that they've made the wrong decision. I have coworkers who are having similar problems. The job market for counseling isn't fantastic. Insurance reimbursement can be problematic and the scope of practice is limited. It's also not standardized across states as much as psychology and social work are.

Consider your options carefully. It's quite a bit easier to get an MHC degree in some places (such as NYC) than it is to get other degrees because there are several part-time programs available (and none for psych or SW), but it may not be worth it if you're unable to find a job at the level you'd prefer.

I'm a social worker who has worked with MHC interns; all are having problems finding a job in their field (above and beyond the general problem of finding ANY job) There just are not many opportunities geared towards the LMHC, even in NY. The didactic training they get seems solid and from what I can tell they seem like good clinicians but I would probably pursue an MSW over an MHC just because social work is a more established profession. Good luck.