Options after pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hajenkin

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m a P4 student and will be graduating next May. I currently work at CVS and it’s driven me to absolutely loathe the career. I’m only an intern, but I’m already tired of dreading my shifts and crying on my way home every night just from the sheer mental and physical stress this job entails. I have multiple health issues that can be flared-up easily with stress and HR, nor my employers, recognize the reasonable accommodationsin place. I know I need to find a way out ASAP after graduation.

Every single pharmacist I’ve worked for or have done rotations under has told me to run and never look back. I have a couple mentors advising me to look into law school, specifically pantent/healthcare law. I also have a couple mentors telling me to look into becoming a physician’s assistant.

I’ve been doing research and it seems like the law field is just as saturated and you don’t really have much of a chance at a decent job if you don’t go to a T14. However, it seems like the patent/healthcare niche could have some potential.

PA seems like a decent option, considering there’s an expected 10% job growth over the next few years.

My hope is to find something I can enjoy, has a decent work/life balance that doesn’t take away from one’s QOL, as well as something with decent pay and job security. I enjoy medicine, but I also enjoy law (I was briefly pre-law in undergrad and am a few credits away from an AA in paralegal studies). I hold a BA in psychology and a BS in pharmaceutical studies, plus a PharmD come next year. I’m willing to go back to school and take on more debt if that means I land a career that I actually enjoy.

I’m lost/hopeless at the moment and don’t really know what direction is best to go. Have any of you (or someone you know) been in this predicament and, if so, did you find something that was enjoyable that isn’t pharmacy?

I’ve gone to friends/family for advice, but I don’t think anyone truly understands just how bad pharmacy is unless they’ve worked in it. So, I’m genuinely asking for advice from those of you who have any experience doing something different after pharmacy school.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Law is terribly saturated, you're right about that. Avoid law.

You are already committed to pharmacy as a P4 - I'd recommend looking into pursuing a residency, or just getting your foot in the door PRN at a local hospital and work as an intern. You need to aim for a hospital gig, then you can ride out a pharmacy career without 100% hating your job.

Go to linkedin, search your local hospital + pharmacist, find their director of pharmacy or chief pharmacy officer or other manager, and ask if they have any need for PRN intern work and offer your service. At least ask them to shadow and get some experience/foot in the door.

Or do the same thing and find industry pharmacists you might be able to intern/shadow. Search pharmacists working at Pfizer and all the big-name drug companies.

Good luck.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd look into pharmaceutical industry, jobs in biotech; regulatory affairs- may need to do a fellowship or take a pay cut with entry level jobs to learn.

I'd also look into managed care- again may need to do a residency.

These areas of pharmacy tend to be less stressful, as the job nature is not as stressful. I've heard situations where this does not hold true, but that can be said of anything.

PA is very interesting route, as well. However, from what I hear it's hella saturated in metro areas. If you're still young, I'd just consider trying the MD/DO route.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m a P4 student and will be graduating next May. I currently work at CVS and it’s driven me to absolutely loathe the career. I’m only an intern, but I’m already tired of dreading my shifts and crying on my way home every night just from the sheer mental and physical stress this job entails. I have multiple health issues that can be flared-up easily with stress and HR, nor my employers, recognize the reasonable accommodationsin place. I know I need to find a way out ASAP after graduation.

Every single pharmacist I’ve worked for or have done rotations under has told me to run and never look back. I have a couple mentors advising me to look into law school, specifically pantent/healthcare law. I also have a couple mentors telling me to look into becoming a physician’s assistant.

I’ve been doing research and it seems like the law field is just as saturated and you don’t really have much of a chance at a decent job if you don’t go to a T14. However, it seems like the patent/healthcare niche could have some potential.

PA seems like a decent option, considering there’s an expected 10% job growth over the next few years.

My hope is to find something I can enjoy, has a decent work/life balance that doesn’t take away from one’s QOL, as well as something with decent pay and job security. I enjoy medicine, but I also enjoy law (I was briefly pre-law in undergrad and am a few credits away from an AA in paralegal studies). I hold a BA in psychology and a BS in pharmaceutical studies, plus a PharmD come next year. I’m willing to go back to school and take on more debt if that means I land a career that I actually enjoy.

I’m lost/hopeless at the moment and don’t really know what direction is best to go. Have any of you (or someone you know) been in this predicament and, if so, did you find something that was enjoyable that isn’t pharmacy?

I’ve gone to friends/family for advice, but I don’t think anyone truly understands just how bad pharmacy is unless they’ve worked in it. So, I’m genuinely asking for advice from those of you who have any experience doing something different after pharmacy school.

Thank you.
I think if you want to earn a high income you may find that no jobs that pay over 100k a year have " something I can enjoy, has a decent work/life balance that doesn’t take away from one’s QOL, as well as something with decent pay and job security" while PA, CRNA, and some JDs make big money I can tell you they have similar stress loads as pharmacists. No free lunch type jobs that I am aware of.

If you think pharmacy is a stressful job try working for 160k a year in NYC at a big law firm doing daily 14 hour doc. review under florescent lights. If any would not work, neither should he eat. I have just started my retail pharmacy job and it's not too bad so far but understand that I am working 40 hours a week at a major chain pharmacy earing less than $75,000 a year while often having to float which means wear and tear on my vehicle and increased chance of death from a car wreck. After income tax, lodging fees and food I'm not making that much money at all, but I am hopefully building up my resume to make big bucks with my next job.

Last edited:
avoid law - I met a Duke law student who was working as a paralegal almost two years after graduation. And Duke is a top school (I think?). PA school, also, I would avoid - most of them I know make less than me (at best it is comparable). Plus that means you will have 4 degrees - and how many student loans? First just try to work as a RPH - (any of the types of jobs that you listed) - before you blow it up at least try to make a dent in those loans, or maybe you will be one of the lucky ones who find something outside the hell known as chain retail pharmacy. I mean - my hospital has been hiring, and heck, we have had trouble finding qualified applicants.

Do you have an offer at CVS? I would take whatever offer you can get and pay down as much of your loans as possible (ideally paying it off) before taking on more debt.

How can a retail dog transition to HEOR?
A P4 retail intern isn't quite a retail dog yet. Meaning, OP hasn't been enslaved to the feeling of depending on a steady pharmacist paycheck - so there is less to lose. Of course debt is still there, but if there's ever a time to look for a move into HEOR...its likely not going to be better than now. Last year would have been better than today, but today is better than next year.

A fellowship is the easiest way, but not the only way. In fact the HEOR person we have now isn't even a HCP. She said she got lucky and stumbled onto the opportunity. Luck happens when you put yourself out there every day and give it a chance to find you.

A good start is to work towards a really good understanding of the US Healthcare system - flow of payment, product, and reimbursement. Also helps to get comfortable with statistics. Lastly, refining all the skills that make someone a candidate for industry such as project management, researching and critically analyzing scientific literature/data, strong communication. Find the people who will give you opportunities to practice and get better at those things while you're a P4.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
A P4 retail intern isn't quite a retail dog yet. Meaning, OP hasn't been enslaved to the feeling of depending on a steady pharmacist paycheck - so there is less to lose. Of course debt is still there, but if there's ever a time to look for a move into HEOR...its likely not going to be better than now. Last year would have been better than today, but today is better than next year.

A fellowship is the easiest way, but not the only way. In fact the HEOR person we have now isn't even a HCP. She said she got lucky and stumbled onto the opportunity. Luck happens when you put yourself out there every day and give it a chance to find you.

A good start is to work towards a really good understanding of the US Healthcare system - flow of payment, product, and reimbursement. Also helps to get comfortable with statistics. Lastly, refining all the skills that make someone a candidate for industry such as project management, researching and critically analyzing scientific literature/data, strong communication. Find the people who will give you opportunities to practice and get better at those things while you're a P4.
I'm the retail dog lol.

I'm the retail dog lol.
If you're a retail dog and want to get into HEOR, I would look to find an interim role to get into a better position to transition. Again, it comes down to understanding the US Healthcare system really well...and then getting into a role that sits in between the flow from one end (retail) to opposite (mfr). That could be PBM, or patient support program, payor, compassionate use, or even specialty pharmacy might help.

You are already committed to pharmacy as a P4 - I'd recommend looking into pursuing a residency, or just getting your foot in the door PRN at a local hospital and work as an intern. You need to aim for a hospital gig, then you can ride out a pharmacy career without 100% hating your job.

Go to linkedin, search your local hospital + pharmacist, find their director of pharmacy or chief pharmacy officer or other manager, and ask if they have any need for PRN intern work and offer your service. At least ask them to shadow and get some experience/foot in the door.

Or do the same thing and find industry pharmacists you might be able to intern/shadow. Search pharmacists working at Pfizer and all the big-name drug companies.

Good luck.

To the OP, Law is not saturated for the extremely competitive. But think of it this way, the likelihood of you promoting from associate in Big Law is less likely than making Pharmacy Supervisor/District Manager in CVS ( <1/425 for law although I only know the CRW/CVS rates informally). And the "reward" for succeeding is more work in Law. Why Law is not saturated is that the burnout and career diversion rates are like entering retail, so you're not improving your situation by going to it unless you really, really want to practice.

As for industry, even low level jobs can be a fine career to retire from, but you will have to work at it. My personal guess is that there is another shift in the works from all the apps I've been seeing into government.

Do you have an offer at CVS? I would take whatever offer you can get and pay down as much of your loans as possible (ideally paying it off) before taking on more debt.
Not yet. I’ve been told the offers should start going out this fall.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think if you want to earn a high income you may find that no jobs that pay over 100k a year have " something I can enjoy, has a decent work/life balance that doesn’t take away from one’s QOL, as well as something with decent pay and job security" while PA, CRNA, and some JDs make big money I can tell you they have similar stress loads as pharmacists. No free lunch type jobs that I am aware of.

If you think pharmacy is a stressful job try working for 160k a year in NYC at a big law firm doing daily 14 hour doc. review under florescent lights. If any would not work, neither should he eat. I have just started my retail pharmacy job and it's not too bad so far but understand that I am working 40 hours a week at a major chain pharmacy earing less than $75,000 a year while often having to float which means wear and tear on my vehicle and increased chance of death from a car wreck. After income tax, lodging fees and food I'm not making that much money at all, but I am hopefully building up my resume to make big bucks with my next job.
Forget about the "wear tear...wrecks" That's everyone...live cheep for a while...try and pay down those loans sooner rather than later...stay away from lawyering.....talk about a dork job..it ain't tv....I suckered into pharmacy long ago and it has only been high speed boredom..but you gotta pay the bills ...a lot of jobs honk..I would give it five years to get level financially..then maybe a change..just remember..most jobs are the same only different...i.e. not fun but needed to pay bills..you could be living in a sandy tent in some third world pesthole..

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

Good luck.
This is the exact advice I'd give also.

does that mean that they are paying you less than $40/hr?

does that mean that they are paying you less than $40/hr?
Yes. I believe so. Based on my math 2080 hours a year for 74,000 salary is 35.50 an hour. Based off information someone posted on reddit the band for Pharm. Manager is 130,416-143,457 so hopefully if I get promoted I will be bumped up to the bottom of the band which would be a huge raise.

Yes. I believe so. Based on my math 2080 hours a year for 74,000 salary is 35.50 an hour. Based off information someone posted on reddit the band for Pharm. Manager is 130,416-143,457 so hopefully if I get promoted I will be bumped up to the bottom of the band which would be a huge raise.
How do you make so low?

How do you make so low?
new grad? no experience? Do you not understand the state of saturation we are in? I know many grads that have no job and it has been YEARS friend. Before this job, I applied for jobs at vaccine clinics for $35 an hour and did not even get a call back.

Last edited:
Chain or indy?

new grad? no experience? Do you not understand the state of saturation we are in? I know many grads that have no job and it has been YEARS friend. Before this job, I applied for jobs at vaccine clinics for $35 an hour and did not even get a call back.
The grads that don't have anything lined up for years. What are they doing now?

Chain or indy?

The grads that don't have anything lined up for years. What are they doing now?
I work at a chain.

The grads that didn't have anything lined up? Well some of them failed the Naplex. I know one person that failed the NAPLEX 3 times over 5 years. She still hasn't passed it, lives at home and helps her mom out with the business she owns on a part time basis. She tells me she is looking into becoming a home decorator. Another failed the MPJE 5 times and unable to take it again without a special note from the board of their state. He has since gotten work in the programming field.

A few others graduated and are still looking for jobs or have entered into a somewhat depressed and stagnant state. The depression being correlated with their loan burden I imagine. I myself went 18 months before I got my first job. I was on the major job boards mostly daily applying to new jobs.

When you see an employment change of -10,000 over ten years with an expected 13,000+ new grads a year being pumped into the market what do you expect really?

This isn't rocket science. Looking back on SDN I see threads from the early 2000's predicting saturation and reduced wages. That was 20 years ago... This is the reality of our situation. Every year there will be thousands of new grads that will not find paid pharmacy work. This doesn't mean their life is over nor does it make them special at all. Many college major owners find that in reality they are not able to really used their degree. Residency and retirement will do a little to reduce unemployment but it will be a drop in the bucket compared to the massive supply and weak demand.

I think the biggest shock will be long established retail pharmacists used to making more than 40 an hour. The chains will find a way to force them out or make them accept a lower salary to be more inline with the current market conditions. The estimated $35 I make now may seem low to some, but to me it's a king's ransom as before this for years I was making very very small amounts of money. I am trying to save as much money as I can every paycheck as I am well aware that every paycheck may be my last. I am currently saving up money to start a mobile tattoo removal business incase I am terminated. At the same time money isn't the main thing I value from my job. The things I value from my job are a sense of structure in my life and the ability to interact with coworkers and the public in a social manner.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 3 users
Easier said than done these days, but I would just try to avoid anything retail if at all possible. I was pretty much just like you when I graduated (except substitute the other one for CVS). I ended up getting a hospital job and it has worked out okay for me.

I don't know if I would just jump into another degree right away; try to use your pharmacy degree for a little bit and you can figure out something else from there if you decide pharmacy still isn't what you want to do.

To the OP, Law is not saturated for the extremely competitive. But think of it this way, the likelihood of you promoting from associate in Big Law is less likely than making Pharmacy Supervisor/District Manager in CVS ( <1/425 for law although I only know the CRW/CVS rates informally). And the "reward" for succeeding is more work in Law. Why Law is not saturated is that the burnout and career diversion rates are like entering retail, so you're not improving your situation by going to it unless you really, really want to practice.

As for industry, even low level jobs can be a fine career to retire from, but you will have to work at it. My personal guess is that there is another shift in the works from all the apps I've been seeing into government.
Becoming a DM at CVS isn't really that statistically improbable if you want it.. You just have to shameless shill for the company and work off the clock like crazy. Most pharmacists just don't give enough of a damn to be a DM. Or, like me, have zero interest in the position. Everyone I've ever known that wanted to become an "emerging leader" has pretty easily gotten there. When a total of like 5 people in the entire district want the job and 1-2 actually are willing to go through the grind...it kind of becomes self selecting.

Reactions: 4 users
I don't get it. Our base is above 45 an hour

• Hmm
Becoming a DM at CVS isn't really that statistically improbable if you want it.. You just have to shameless shill for the company and work off the clock like crazy. Most pharmacists just don't give enough of a damn to be a DM. Or, like me, have zero interest in the position. Everyone I've ever known that wanted to become an "emerging leader" has pretty easily gotten there. When a total of like 5 people in the entire district want the job and 1-2 actually are willing to go through the grind...it kind of becomes self selecting.
While this is true, it does not change the point. It is as statistically rare on self-selection and external selection. I used to lecture my class on the likelihood that you would be in the money from deferred compensation in contrast to a night or locum LLC pharmacist, and the number of those who stayed DM and didn't select higher was very low. And this was in the era of high growth, but with contraction, we'll see. And for the Walgreens, that probability turned out to be zero as WBA reneged on all the deferred compensation due to upper management.

It's the Spartan 'if' question. But if you want to make money and remain relatively untrained, I recommend night pharmacy above management. But in Law, not even corporate make out as well as Big Law, and both require the same sort of investment to make it payoff. It's a lifestyle more than a career. The DM is a lifestyle.

Op made a life mistake from not being self-reflective. There are no perfect options, but no option is workable if the Option makes the same mistake again. There is simply not enough time for viable employment.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I might try to find somewhere else (hospital, independent/compounding, industry, etc) to give pharmacy another shot for a bit and then go into something different (still leaning towards PA). I have an immediate family member who is an NP, so I have some sense of what they do (I'm looking to shadow PAs in specific fields of interest over the next year to get a better idea). I genuinely enjoy the therapeutics side of pharmacy (working up a patient, looking at labs, making changes to medications, etc), which makes me believe that PA might be a better route for me.

I get that there's no perfect job, but I know for a fact there's got to be a job that I don't dread going to every day and then cry on the drive home from every shift (aka my life now).

Do you all have a good timeframe to start reaching out about job opportunities? I graduate May 2022, so would now be too soon to start applying?

Thanks everyone for the advice. I might try to find somewhere else (hospital, independent/compounding, industry, etc) to give pharmacy another shot for a bit and then go into something different (still leaning towards PA). I have an immediate family member who is an NP, so I have some sense of what they do (I'm looking to shadow PAs in specific fields of interest over the next year to get a better idea). I genuinely enjoy the therapeutics side of pharmacy (working up a patient, looking at labs, making changes to medications, etc), which makes me believe that PA might be a better route for me.

I get that there's no perfect job, but I know for a fact there's got to be a job that I don't dread going to every day and then cry on the drive home from every shift (aka my life now).

Do you all have a good timeframe to start reaching out about job opportunities? I graduate May 2022, so would now be too soon to start applying?

It's never too soon to do whatever you have to do to get towards where you want to be, whether that mean applying or getting creative and finding an interim role/project to get you there.

Timing-wise, open positions are dependent on department budget (for newly created positions) and/or unanticipated (need to backfill someone who left). Since budgets usually get assessed in quarters based off yearly forecasts, it's hard for an employer to commit having something for you 3-4 quarters ahead. For backfills, the situation is often desperate and they need a body quickly since the work has been shifted to existing resources and everyone is taking on more work until a new person is hired and trained. You can see why it's hard for an employer to consider someone who can't start for months out in the future. Also, you don't want too much time to elapse between getting an offer and starting a job because any number of things can happen in between that could make the opportunity disappear. I have seen people in your shoes make something happen on the rare occasion, but it requires some extra commitment and thinking out of the box - like offering to take on projects and training on weekends or even on weekdays after rotations are done for the day.

Do you work 40 hours every week? Most new grads get 30-32.

I can relate. My first real job after college, I made 26-28/hr and I thought I was rich cause before that I made 15/hr. But now 35/hr seems highly underpaid.

Last edited:
Do you work 40 hours every week? Most new grads get 30-32.

I can relate. My first real job after college, I made 26-28/hr and I thought I was rich cause before that I made 15/hr. But now 35/hr seems highly underpaid.
64 hours every two weeks. Should i work for the company for a year to pad my resume and then switch to a different company to get a 30k pay boost?

I have been searching for Pharmacist jobs at the new Crystal City Amazon headquarters but it seems like all the Amazon pharmacist jobs (pill pack) are in Idaho and Arizona.

Last edited:
You aren't working 2080 hours a year if you're averaging 32 hours a week. Your hourly rate is about $44.50
Well I do drive a lot. Sometimes up to 3 hours a day. And the company doesn't make it obvious or go out of it's way to reimburse me. So that probably costs me at least $40 a shift. Also I am pressured to come 30 min early and leave an hour late. So this is more unpaid labor, further reducing my wage.

Well I do drive a lot. Sometimes up to 3 hours a day. And the company doesn't make it obvious or go out of it's way to reimburse me. So that probably costs me at least $40 a shift. Also I am pressured to come 30 min early and leave an hour late. So this is more unpaid labor, further reducing my wage.

You make $44.50/hr dude.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Being a chain/retail/"community" dog certainly pays the bills and is manageable if you've got thick skin. It's just business

It's not overall satisfying, fulfilling, or meaningful enough for me though (exceptions being med counseling, resolving interactions/alternative meds, and vaccines of course...just not enough time actually doing these tasks vs. the mundane). Getting into becoming a preceptor/teacher to find satisfaction in crafting/molding/influencing someone's mind and education (I'm not cut out for family life BS)

Reactions: 1 users
Some good ideas here, but I'd also like to add, having been a floater for several years, not ALL retail stores suck. Most do, but even working CVS or Walgreens, you still have a chance to find and transition into a retail store that you like. But you should be prepared for at least a few years of hell if you want to take that approach.

As for me, I honestly feel trying to find a job that I enjoy seems like a waste of time. I just want to make as much money as I can, as quickly as I can, and FIRE before I'm too old to enjoy my life anymore.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I have 5 years of experience as a floater in retail and supervisor for LTC department . I am moving states and had to leave my previous job as they don't have a facility in NC . I now really regret leaving my previous job, because I was getting payed there 60/hr. I been applying to jobs non-stop in NC and only retail chains seem to get back to me . Got an offer, with my experience to float at wags for $45/hour, really shocked 😳 😲 😯 ! There was no room to even negotiate it was a take it or leave it sort of deal before the interview even started. I was expecting a pay-cut going from NY to NC I just never expected it to be this bad. I am sorry to say but our pharmacist profession is so over-saturated that I would not be surprised if chains started offering $35/hr to new and experienced Rph in the next couple of years. As far as I can see, if you currently have a pharmacist job hold on to it for dear life and in your free time go to school part time online for something else . Something that is thriving now and will be in the future like technology or start your own business non pharmacy related. My advise to all students that are in pharmacy school for your own sake is to just run , change professions and don't look back. If you want to be unemployed for months and once you get a job in a chain part time for 75K/year probably even lower in few years as a medical professional with 200K in loans, be stressed 24hours a day with no lunch break, bathroom break, no help but bigger work load ,stay for free to finish work and drive home in tears for an hour then graduate and welcome to misery of pharmacist life. Online IT certificate with $50,000 a year start pay sounds better than a PharmD right now, less loans or no loans and you are treated as a human being not a robot or trash.

Reactions: 4 users
I have 5 years of experience as a floater in retail and supervisor for LTC department . I am moving states and had to leave my previous job as they don't have a facility in NC . I now really regret leaving my previous job, because I was getting payed there 60/hr. I been applying to jobs non-stop in NC and only retail chains seem to get back to me . Got an offer, with my experience to float at wags for $45/hour, really shocked 😳 😲 😯 ! There was no room to even negotiate it was a take it or leave it sort of deal before the interview even started. I was expecting a pay-cut going from NY to NC I just never expected it to be this bad. I am sorry to say but our pharmacist profession is so over-saturated that I would not be surprised if chains started offering $35/hr to new and experienced Rph in the next couple of years. As far as I can see, if you currently have a pharmacist job hold on to it for dear life and in your free time go to school part time online for something else . Something that is thriving now and will be in the future like technology or start your own business non pharmacy related. My advise to all students that are in pharmacy school for your own sake is to just run , change professions and don't look back. If you want to be unemployed for months and once you get a job in a chain part time for 75K/year probably even lower in few years as a medical professional with 200K in loans, be stressed 24hours a day with no lunch break, bathroom break, no help but bigger work load ,stay for free to finish work and drive home in tears for an hour then graduate and welcome to misery of pharmacist life. Online IT certificate with $50,000 a year start pay sounds better than a PharmD right now, less loans or no loans and you are treated as a human being not a robot or trash.
I Don't think we will see 35$ an hour for pharmacists for the next five years but I do see 37$-$39 an hour in the next year. Hope you have a good reliable vehicle for floating.

Why? Didn’t pharmacy school do that already?
They should create a pharmacy porn genre. Instead of plumber showing up to fix leaky pipes a pharmacist shows up.

• Haha
Stripping

LOL

"Only my closest friend in med school knew. He was a wonderfully supportive friend of mine. I told him my secret when he told me that he was gay, just one year after he got married to a girl. "

I'm going to call bs on this one. Just doesn't make sense.

It's Cosmo. prob a LARP

True, the days that new grads can easily get a $60+/hr job is probably over; but there are still $60+/hr job out there. So ask yourself, why the employers should pick you over other candidates? What skills do you have to bring to the table? Why dont you step up and be a manager in retails? Yes, it is tough, but hey after 2-3 years, you will have more story to tell the hiring people for your next job. It is just ridiculous for me to see new grads who just want to start out with easy , no responsibility job and expect to get a high paying job after that.