All Branch Topic (ABT) Options for a US-IMG during Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clarus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What options are available for a US-IMG attending a residency program in the US?

This is in terms of commitments, financial assistance and serving a certain amount of time in the military.

Members don't see this ad.

What options are available for a US-IMG attending a residency program in the US?

This is in terms of commitments, financial assistance and serving a certain amount of time in the military.
None. Though there might be some programs once you have an independent license.

Just to clarify, are you in a civilian residency looking to join the military or looking for options to do a residency in the military? For the former, I would think you would be eligible for FAP program for active duty and the STRAP program for Guard/Reserve. Frequently, people come asking about ways to do residency through the military after failing to match on the civilian side and there really aren't any options on that end. I think Helpful Troll was interpreting it that way.

Reactions: 1 user
Just to clarify, are you in a civilian residency looking to join the military or looking for options to do a residency in the military? For the former, I would think you would be eligible for FAP program for active duty and the STRAP program for Guard/Reserve.

Already have a civilian residency. I was looking for options available to me at this current stage in my training. I'll be starting this July.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Frequently, people come asking about ways to do residency through the military after failing to match on the civilian side and there really aren't any options on that end. I think Helpful Troll was interpreting it that way.

Is that really a thing? I thought it was harder to get a military residency as opposed to civilian?

Is that really a thing? I thought it was harder to get a military residency as opposed to civilian?
I don't know if I'd say it's "harder"

In general people aren't eligible (or likely to be selected) for an inservice military residency if they aren't already plugged into the system by way of some military sponsorship program (mostly HPSP or USUHS) they joined for medical school.

Once in the system, the nature of the system is that its relatively small size makes some specialties more or less competitive (compared to the civilian match) just based on the # of people who happen to be applying that cycle, or the preference skew of the kind of people who join the military. The tyranny of small numbers, mainly.

I don't know if I'd say it's "harder"

In general people aren't eligible (or likely to be selected) for an inservice military residency if they aren't already plugged into the system by way of some military sponsorship program (mostly HPSP or USUHS) they joined for medical school.

Once in the system, the nature of the system is that its relatively small size makes some specialties more or less competitive (compared to the civilian match) just based on the # of people who happen to be applying that cycle, or the preference skew of the kind of people who join the military. The tyranny of small numbers, mainly.

Sounds like a "Mini-Match" basically. Do you know where I can find full data for this past military match 2022 cycle?

Sounds like a "Mini-Match" basically. Do you know where I can find full data for this past military match 2022 cycle?
It never gets released.

Some years the Navy portion of the joint (Army + Navy + Air Force) GME Selection Board gets released and posted here, and you can sorta read the tea leaves by seeing how many "alternates" (unmatched) there are compared to how many "selects" (matched) but even that's just a partial picture of the Navy numbers, and the whole GMO phenomenon adds another layer of uncertainty. Self-selection also clouds how competitive some specialties are.

Sometimes some of the data filters into various PowerPoint presentations that get out onto the web, but not often.

It never gets released.

Some years the Navy portion of the joint (Army + Navy + Air Force) GME Selection Board gets released and posted here, and you can sorta read the tea leaves by seeing how many "alternates" (unmatched) there are compared to how many "selects" (matched) but even that's just a partial picture of the Navy numbers, and the whole GMO phenomenon adds another layer of uncertainty. Self-selection also clouds how competitive some specialties are.

Sometimes some of the data filters into various PowerPoint presentations that get out onto the web, but not often.

That's really annoying. They should make that more transparent. I would have probably applied to this year's Match but the timing was bad.

That's really annoying. They should make that more transparent. I would have probably applied to this year's Match but the timing was bad.
It isn't a public match. It is restricted to applicants who are already commissioned military medical corps officers, usually in USUHS or having a HPSP scholarship. The only other access is to be commissioned after doing a civilian internship and (usually as a GMO or similar officer) apply for a residency. They aren't looking for anyone who doesn't already have a commission.

Already have a civilian residency. I was looking for options available to me at this current stage in my training. I'll be starting this July.

Clarus - Does your reference to "I would have probably applied to this year's Match but the timing was bad." indicate you would have applied to the Military Match? Maybe I am misinterpreting your post. IMG's are not eligible for the Military Match except in very limited circumstances which include already having an unrestricted medical license in a US State. However, this source of AMEDD Officers is very close to 0, or 0 currently.

Your post #4 above indicates you already have a civilian residency lined up. Is it a prelim program so you are not eligible for an unrestricted license upon completion? So... Get a civilian residency then contact an AMEDD recruiter to see if you are eligible for any financial assistance programs for Reserves or NG - As an IMG I'm not sure you are eligible even for NG or Reserves until you have an Unrestricted US State license though.

Another option is to get a civilian residency, unrestricted license, and then reach out to an AMEDD recruiter to try to commission as a licensed medical officer in the Reserves or NG while still in a civilian residency program. Complete a civilian residency, get an Unrestricted Medical License, and become at least board eligible then apply for Active Duty, NG, or Reserves via an AMEDD recruiter.

None of these options include applying for the Military Match unless you are already part of HPSP, USUHS, have ROTC obligated service as part of an Educational Delay, or on Active Duty as an AMEDD Officer already.

Edit: Updated post # as reference

Some people outside of the military think the military might be desperate enough for people to gladly take the kind of applicant that is rejected by civilian residencies. Some people also still think that you can still join the military to get out of jail. It speaks more to their negative impression of military service than to reality.