Options for deferring with late acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nona1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what happens if you don't get accepted until late in the Spring but you want to defer? If your acceptance comes after the deadline do you not have a choice to defer?

Members don't see this ad.

nona1 said:
Anyone know what happens if you don't get accepted until late in the Spring but you want to defer? If your acceptance comes after the deadline do you not have a choice to defer?

This is a very good question. I think that it doesn't matter. Offers for admissions are made to those on the waitlist well into July - August even. So, if you're accepted and then you decide to defer, I don't see why it should be a problem.

I am hoping it doesn't matter either, but does anyone have any reliable information either through personal experience or direct word from an admissions officer? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
DO NOT let the admissions committee or anyone in the admissions office know that you want to defer until you are officially affected. It might ruin your chances of getting in. I kinda made the mistake of doing that at one school (where i am wailisted), even though my intentions were sincere and more of an inquisitive type. But the lady told me it was best to wait to get accepted (which in case of this schools is probably going to be in the summer, if at all).

nona1 said:
I am hoping it doesn't matter either, but does anyone have any reliable information either through personal experience or direct word from an admissions officer? Thanks.

sk1684 said:
DO NOT let the admissions committee or anyone in the admissions office know that you want to defer until you are officially affected. It might ruin your chances of getting in. I kinda made the mistake of doing that at one school (where i am wailisted), even though my intentions were sincere and more of an inquisitive type. But the lady told me it was best to wait to get accepted (which in case of this schools is probably going to be in the summer, if at all).

Did the woman you spoke with happen to say if once you were accepted, even if in the summer, you had the option of deferring at that time?

she didn't give me a straightfwd. answer, but she said "by that time, i should have figured out my issues (reasons for deferrment)."...whatever that means
nona1 said:
Did the woman you spoke with happen to say if once you were accepted, even if in the summer, you had the option of deferring at that time?

I was accepted in mid-April and deferred in June without a problem. Course, this was 5 years ago now, but I'm pretty sure deferrments are just as common now as they were then.