Options for MD with 1 year of psych residency only

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justclouds9000

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the top speed of a Mazarati?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
there is no demand for MDs who could not complete residency. you may be able to get licensed depending on the state. some states require 2 or even 3 years before issuing a full license. technically once you have a medical license which is a "physician and surgeon license" you are technically licensed to practice medicine and surgery in whatever specialty you like. that said, insurance companies may not panel you or pay for your services, hospitals or clinics may not credential you, patients may not want to see you, if it is felt your are practising outside of your scope the medical board may discipline you, malpractice carriers may refuse to indemnify you, and you may be more readily sued for negligence in the event of a bad outcome.

there are no demands for failures or people too lazy or personality disordered to finish residency. The people who are successful are those who attend top ranked medical schools. some years ago something like 25% of stanford and ucsf medical students don't complete (or begin) residency, and more yale med students went into consulting than primary care. this has probably changed a bit in recent years. but if you didn't attend a top tier medical school and have no entrepreneurial, creative, or enigmatic qualities then consulting, tech, investment banks, health care organizations etc are not going be interested you.

and unlike being a psychiatrist, no one is going to be coming knocking down your door begging them for you to work for them if you drop out of training. you will be the one doing the begging.

as a pre-med why are you considering these things? seems a bit fatalistic

there are some people who have done very well for themselves but they are the exceptions that prove the rule.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You’re not in a residency. Why is this even a consideration before you’re to that point in your life? Wrong mentality to go into it with.

Folks, I didn't ask of your opinion of someone dropping out after 1 year of residency. I am asking a simple hypothetical question regarding the options for someone with only 1 year of residency. If you don't have specific answers for the question I asked, then just move on.
Meeee-yow.
You can probably be a drug rep.
There. There’s your options.

Reactions: 6 users
There is no demand or pre-existing market for this, at least clinically. Any demand would have to be self-generated, and largely based on your own marketing. The few I've seen like this at most advertise themselves as "psychiatrically trained" or "residency trained." I'd never send patients to them, though. Even in rural high need areas. The training received in only intern year is largely emergency management/high acuity, with no longitudinal experience or understanding of the long term ramifications of choices. So there are few settings where someone can self-generate business for someone skilled only in emergency management but no skills in anything past that. You can't really hang much of a shingle for that. So IMHO anything else, advertising-wise would be based on deception, pretending you have more skills and training than you do and preying on the lack of sophistication/education of consumers to know the difference between someone "residency trained" and someone actually board certified.

In the nature of the discussion of mid-levels or others working in fields with insufficient education -- you don't know what you don't know. So I'd take very little stock in such a person setting their own limits appropriately on when they're out of their depth. Because the rest of us are saying trying to do it at all is probably unsafe -- and yet the OP asks the question.

Reactions: 1 user
There is no demand or pre-existing market for this, at least clinically. Any demand would have to be self-generated, and largely based on your own marketing. The few I've seen like this at most advertise themselves as "psychiatrically trained" or "residency trained." I'd never send patients to them, though. Even in rural high need areas. The training received in only intern year is largely emergency management/high acuity, with no longitudinal experience or understanding of the long term ramifications of choices. So there are few settings where someone can self-generate business for someone skilled only in emergency management but no skills in anything past that. You can't really hang much of a shingle for that. So IMHO anything else, advertising-wise would be based on deception, pretending you have more skills and training than you do and preying on the lack of sophistication/education of consumers to know the difference between someone "residency trained" and someone actually board certified.

In the nature of the discussion of mid-levels or others working in fields with insufficient education -- you don't know what you don't know. So I'd take very little stock in such a person setting their own limits appropriately on when they're out of their depth. Because the rest of us are saying trying to do it at all is probably unsafe -- and yet the OP asks the question.
That’s awesome. I love spin. I also love that spin often works. That’s why my backup plan to being board certified was to advertise as “board tested.”

That’s awesome. I love spin. I also love that spin often works. That’s why my backup plan to being board certified was to advertise as “board tested.”
clinically_studied_ingredient.png

xkcd: Clinically Studied Ingredient

Reactions: 2 users
Folks, I didn't ask of your opinion of someone dropping out after 1 year of residency. I am asking a simple hypothetical question regarding the options for someone with only 1 year of residency. If you don't have specific answers for the question I asked, then just move on.
Get a full license in states (~30) that will grant you one if you are a US grad. You can work for a county health department and make 110k-130k/yr or work for the Indian Health Services and make ~ 180k/yr with excellent benefits since you are working for the Fed. I happen to have a friend who is doing the latter. But these jobs are in place where most people don't want to live

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

How old are you, and what level of education do you have?

Reactions: 1 user
Get a full license in states (~30) that will grant you one if you are a US grad. You can work for a county health department and make 110k-130k/yr or work for the Indian Health Services and make ~ 180k/yr with excellent benefits since you are working for the Fed. I happen to have a friend who is doing the latter. But these jobs are in place where most people don't want to live

Does your friend work in a mental health role for that?