This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slowthai

holding a barbell.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied this cycle and I'm hoping to strengthen a weakness in my app; clinical experience. I've secured a job as a scribe, but I also have an interview for an optometric assistant position. Which one do you think is a better choice?

Members don't see this ad.

The job that pays better.

I am 99.9% sure that the optometrist position pays better. So is there not an appreciable advantage to scribing vs being an optometrist assistant? My thinking was that as a scribe, you get a feel for physicians' thought processes, get to see the nitty gritty of their workday, and you get to see how a hospital works (it's in the ED). I was thinking that those things would help me during interviews. Or is it true that any clinical experience is good and that it doesn't really matter at the end of the day?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am 99.9% sure that the optometrist position pays better. So is there not an appreciable advantage to scribing vs being an optometrist assistant? My thinking was that as a scribe, you get a feel for physicians' thought processes, get to see the nitty gritty of their workday, and you get to see how a hospital works (it's in the ED). I was thinking that those things would help me during interviews. Or is it true that any clinical experience is good and that it doesn't really matter at the end of the day?
Any clinical experience will do.

Scribing in the ED would be an excellent avenue for broadening one's exposure to medicine. And it could be exciting, but also consider the stress-prone, very-rapid pace of the work, which must be performed within exacting parameters during weird shift hours. A lot of scribes don't make it past the probation period for good reason. I don't think interviews would often touch on the factors you listed above, but they're good to know for your own sake.

Optometric techs get to see interesting cases, too, but heavily leavened by routine screenings. If you thirst for more excitement, some ED volunteering on the side could provide it.

Reactions: 1 user
Any clinical experience will do.

Scribing in the ED would be an excellent avenue for broadening one's exposure to medicine. And it could be exciting, but also consider the stress-prone, very-rapid pace of the work, which must be performed within exacting parameters during weird shift hours. A lot of scribes don't make it past the probation period for good reason. I don't think interviews would often touch on the factors you listed above, but they're good to know for your own sake.

Optometric techs get to see interesting cases, too, but heavily leavened by routine screenings. If you thirst for more excitement, some ED volunteering on the side could provide it.

Great, thank you!!

I like opthometric technician because, if I'm recalling correctly from my last exam, you actually get to talk to patients, warn them that something might sting, resassure them that something you're about to do is painless, make them more comfortable with a facial tissue to wipe their eyes, etc. It might not sounds as exciting as scribing but it gets you involved and it is a bit more unusual than scribing. And it pays better! That's always a win.

Reactions: 1 users
I like opthometric technician because, if I'm recalling correctly from my last exam, you actually get to talk to patients, warn them that something might sting, resassure them that something you're about to do is painless, make them more comfortable with a facial tissue to wipe their eyes, etc. It might not sounds as exciting as scribing but it gets you involved and it is a bit more unusual than scribing. And it pays better! That's always a win.

This helps. Thank you!

Both are probably good because both can lead to direct contact with physicians who can write personal letters. Ultimately an ED scribe (don’t know if this is where you are scribing) job would be more beneficial for you as a third year medical student. If you liked both equally you might consider that you will be an all-star on the wards when you can come up with differentials, plans and dispos on most any complaint.