Optometry Debt

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riridelrey97

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Canadian optometrists,

For all those that went to the US to study optometry and are Canadian, how much debt did you have and how long did it take you to pay it off (or how long do you plan on paying it off in)?

Members don't see this ad.

Wondering the same thing, I got into a school in the states but I am waiting to hear back from waterloo and Dont know if it's worth it to wait or just accept at the american school:/

As a current 2nd year student it's obviously very expensive. You have to be 100% in love with the profession to take the plunge. Especially with the CAD being where it is at currently (complete ****).
Im expecting to be in debt about 200k before interest (nice interest plans for Canadians vs Americans) and I go to one of the cheapest schools.
Obviously Waterloo is ideal, but if you aren't in the 1% of applicants it's not realistic.
If you really love the profession and are committed I say go for it. Otherwise evaluate all other options. It's a LOT of work and a massive commitment - and that's before you even consider the monetary concernsI! Ipersonally love it but be warned its not undergrad anymore (I went to UofA BSc) it's much, much more difficult and as mentioned a massive commitment.
Best of luck!

As a current 2nd year student it's obviously very expensive. You have to be 100% in love with the profession to take the plunge. Especially with the CAD being where it is at currently (complete ****).
Im expecting to be in debt about 200k before interest (nice interest plans for Canadians vs Americans) and I go to one of the cheapest schools.
Obviously Waterloo is ideal, but if you aren't in the 1% of applicants it's not realistic.
If you really love the profession and are committed I say go for it. Otherwise evaluate all other options. It's a LOT of work and a massive commitment - and that's before you even consider the monetary concernsI! Ipersonally love it but be warned its not undergrad anymore (I went to UofA BSc) it's much, much more difficult and as mentioned a massive commitment.
Best of luck!
I was wondering which optometry school do you go to if you dont mind me asking?