Optometry Prerequisites set in stone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justordinary4

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
While going to undergrad at Indiana University I had my heart and mind set on only attending IU for optometry school and did not look at any other prerequisites for other schools. This means that I did not take organic lab. I plan on applying early to enter in a school fall of 2019.

Here are a list of my courses I have taken (and will take) plus extracurriculars
2 Semesters of English
Calculus
2 Semesters of Psychology
2 Semesters of general chemistry with lab
Orgo 1
Inorganic Chemistry with lab
2 Semesters of General Bio
Biochemistry
Molecular
Genetics and genetics lab
Evolution
Microbiology and Microbiology lab
Foreign language
2 Semesters of physics with lab
1 semester of anatomy and physiology of the eye with lab
I have a minor in Bio Anthropology and have taken many courses that go into details of human anatomy and physiology.
I worked in a research lab under the dean of the optometry school over the summer and then moved to work with another professor in the department.
I also work as a receptionist in the clinic on campus that is affiliated with the optometry school.

Important side note is I ended up with a C in organic chemistry and my overall GPA is 3.32.

With this will, I still need to take organic lab and possibly organic 2? Will I also need to take anatomy if I took anatomy and physiology of the eye? Will schools accept me when I haven't taken a couple of the prerequisites?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
While going to undergrad at Indiana University I had my heart and mind set on only attending IU for optometry school and did not look at any other prerequisites for other schools. This means that I did not take organic lab. I plan on applying early to enter in a school fall of 2019.

Here are a list of my courses I have taken (and will take) plus extracurriculars
2 Semesters of English
Calculus
2 Semesters of Psychology
2 Semesters of general chemistry with lab
Orgo 1
Inorganic Chemistry with lab
2 Semesters of General Bio
Biochemistry
Molecular
Genetics and genetics lab
Evolution
Microbiology and Microbiology lab
Foreign language
2 Semesters of physics with lab
1 semester of anatomy and physiology of the eye with lab
I have a minor in Bio Anthropology and have taken many courses that go into details of human anatomy and physiology.
I worked in a research lab under the dean of the optometry school over the summer and then moved to work with another professor in the department.
I also work as a receptionist in the clinic on campus that is affiliated with the optometry school.

Important side note is I ended up with a C in organic chemistry and my overall GPA is 3.32.

With this will, I still need to take organic lab and possibly organic 2? Will I also need to take anatomy if I took anatomy and physiology of the eye? Will schools accept me when I haven't taken a couple of the prerequisites?
I would contact the school and ask. I think if their prereqs are listed those you have to take in order to qualify as a candidate. But I will still ask just in case

In any case, schools can accept you conditionally. Depending on the school, you can have up to five courses you haven’t taken when you’re accepted, but you’d be expected to complete them before school starts.