OR question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NachoPlatter

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a new M3 who hasn't had surgery yet, but will be in the OR starting tomorrow for my elective. My question may be stupid but as I've yet to walk into an OR its relevant-- I won't be scrubbing in, but is it okay to have stuff in your pockets in an OR when not scrubbed in? Or is this an infection risk? I'm thinking specifically of my phone + a credit card as I don't have a locker/secure area to put it otherwise. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

May vary by hospital as different hospitals have different policies, but I was never barred from having stuff in my pockets. My phone was always in my pocket, even when I was scrubbed in.

Reactions: 1 users
I am a new M3 who hasn't had surgery yet, but will be in the OR starting tomorrow for my elective. My question may be stupid but as I've yet to walk into an OR its relevant-- I won't be scrubbing in, but is it okay to have stuff in your pockets in an OR when not scrubbed in? Or is this an infection risk? I'm thinking specifically of my phone + a credit card as I don't have a locker/secure area to put it otherwise. Thanks!
Yeah, no problem even if you were scrubbed in. Only reason I ever took stuff out of my pockets was if some/all of the surgery was seated then I wouldn't want to sit on a bunch of junk or risk it falling out of my pocket while seated. If you are still concerned when you get in the OR tomorrow just ask a scrub/circulating nurse re: hospital policy.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've worked in 3 ORs and none had a policy about it. Most people take them out so they don't pull your scrub pants down and so your phone doesn't distract you from the case (some have policies against having phones in patient care areas, but none of my ORs did).

Reactions: 1 user